Compressor Tank Leak

You read my mind on that! Dub in the sound effect of a ricochet!

JB Weld did the trick,just have to see how long it lasts.
In the back of my mind i will have to think about a replacement compressor.

2 Likes

I agree. If one hole magically appeared it was probably only the first. However you now have the time to find an alternative.

1 Like

I kinda wonder if that liquid gas tank sealer they sell in motor cycle shops might work?
gary

Fuel in a gas tank is not under 8 psi pressure ā€¦

1 Like

true, but remember that 8 psi is pushing outwards instead of being in a compressive state. Myself, Iā€™d pin point the pin hole, and then drill a 3/32" hole thru it to get past the bad metal (maybe as much as 3/16"). Then have somebody weld the hole up with a TIG welder. There is an epoxy compound they use to paint the inside of tanks and oil tanks. Canā€™t remember who makes or sells it, but it works well.
gary

1 Like

Robin & Heavy Arty are on spot. I may not be the best modeller, But I do know compressed gas systems. No patch on the outside [ however low pressure of said vessel ] will maintain a lasting solution. In a perfect world , a welded correction from the inside [ without additional corrosion in the adjoining area ] would save your probably low dollar tank. Probably time to replace it . Sorry , K .

1 Like

I agree with Gary T. Drill the hole out with a bit thatā€™s slightly smaller than a self tapping screw. Start the screw in the hole and dope it with JB Weld and finishing tightening it but donā€™t over tighten it. Let it set for a day or two to get a good cure. The pin hole may be a small defect and not caused by rust. Worth a try.
Good luck,
Gary R.

1 Like

The real point here is that youā€™re pretty much maxed out at 30 psi, and even then itā€™s strait air. I would never attempt doing this with a hydraulic cylinder running at 200 psi. Although I have seen 2" and 3" hydraulic lines (steel) welded before on a temporary repair. Gas will compress while liquids will never compress. I canā€™t for the life of me remember the name of that epoxy compound that just goes on with a cheap paint brush. Itā€™s either purple or green in color, and will hold 400 psi.

Air tanks are prone to a moisture build up, and should be completely drained from time to time. The problem probably started with a pocket of rust, and went unknown for a year or two. You cannot put oil in an air tank! So you have to keep the inside of the tank dry. There are good ways to do this, but most of us canā€™t afford the fix.
gary

Mission accomplished.My simple JB Weld patch simply applied over the pinhole has now held for over 4 months.I will continue to use until it blows out,then I will patch again.When it finally becomes un repairable,then I will buy another,but for now its doing fine.

Thanks for all the suggestions

2 Likes