Conked-out KV-1

I read the Time-Life book about how the winter of 1941/1942 proved as bad for the Soviets as it did for the Germans. I figured Tamiya’s new KV-1 would be perfect for the role, especially since its storage bins open. Trouble is, are there figures depicting people taking tools off a tank in winter uniform. So many figure kits around nowadays I figure there must be something!

Surgery is your best option here. OOB figures rarely come pre-formed in the poses one wants. By cutting the arms, legs, hands and heads at their normal joints, drilling holes to accept brass rod (I use
a #75 drill bit and .020 brass rod), and pinning them back together, you can bend the brass rod and re-position them exactly as needed. Then it’s simply a matter of filling in the gaps with epoxy, CA glue or putty and filing the contours back to shape. It’s actually easier than it sounds, and once you master this technique, you’ll be very pleased with how life-like your figures will become. I also recommend buying a jeweler’s saw with a #3/0 blade, it makes this type of work much easier.

https://www.esslinger.com/first-cut-jewelers-and-watchmakers-precision-saw-frame-and-saw-blade-kit/

1 Like