Copper State Canadian Armoured MG Carrier

Humbrol khaki drab is one I was looking at.
I know Airfix recommend it on their last reissue of the WW1 bus.

Excellent worn and faded look on the exposed wood areas. Looks great Don :+1:

Here’s the one from the Canadian War Museum

Not that a 100+ year old repainted museum piece is a definitive reference, but my colour may not be that far off!

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s very useful. I would assume that they had done their research.
Looks like it could be similar to bronze green? A bit of dirt and mud would tone it down a bit.

You’d hope so but I refer you back to the IWM Caunter fiasco. Everything that I have read about WWI vehicle colours seems to be that the only standards were the lack of standards but I agree completely. Some grime and mud and the base colour really won’t matter.

1 Like

Yes I seem to remember something about that.
And the Jagdtiger in grey and lemon yellow!
They seem to have made an effort in more recent years to accurately repaint the Tigers.

WW1 colours are bit more difficult to work out with only b&w images to work from

1 Like

Last one for the week or so as I’m off to work for a bit.

Sides are on. No fit issues to speak of. The irony of this kit having impeccable fit while the real thing was all rivets and Victorian engineering.

I’ve decided to drop one of the hinged side plates to better show off the gun platform. The hinges are on the outside face but I’m going to have to bodge together something to represent the pin/hinge point.

Here’s the drivers compartment. That little sliver of evergreen on the bottom right is a replacement for a strut I wasn’t supposed to hack off but apparently did anyway.

4 Likes

Oops, missed that post, thanks!

1 Like

Don, that wood floor looks amazing. Great effects there. The whole model is coming along excellent. Great work.

So… work was just enjoyable beyond worlds this week. Happy to be back in my hovel sniffing glue.

I took the excellent fit of this kit so far for granted. When i fit the sides I should have added the rear panel as well for alignment but alas…

Evergreen to the rescue. Hopefully once she’s all painted up it won’t be too noticeable. Lesson learned though.

Got the head lamps fitted. The large one was apparently a carbide lamp like a miner’s helmet.

There’s an armoured panel to go over the rad at the bottom here but I’m displaying it open so it won’t go on until I’ve painted the front.

And she’s done! The Colt MGs have excellent detail. I haven’t fitted the condenser hose or cans yet. The hose is delicate (and therefore probably going to be replaced) and I want the guns off for painting.

That side is just tacked on. I need to paint behind it still and think about building some sort of hinge like things as well. I think some brass rod will do, you’ll barely see them.

5 Likes

Looks great

Pant is on. Weapons mounted. She’s just about ready to go tearing around the German rear (at a blistering 40km/h!… on good roads… maybe).

The hinges for the front armour plate are moulded such that it won’t lay flush when open despite the instructions depicting the option to have it up. I couldn’t think of a fix that didn’t involve butchery I couldn’t mend so we’re going with willing suspension of disbelief on this one.

Pay not mind to the bajilions of road wheels. They’re my current source of anguish and indigestion.

4 Likes

Mud came out today!

Gonna let this all set up and see how I feel in the morning.

Just need to finish off the MGs and I think it’s going to be a wrap.

3 Likes

Tried taking some nicer pictures today.

Apparently I used a touch too much Krystal Klear on the front lamp which is going to annoy me to no end :rage:. Also tried once again experimenting with AK wet effects for some rain streaks/puddles. Not exactly satisfied with my efforts but I don’t want to touch it for fear of messing up a weathering job I’m otherwise quite happy with.

I cannot recommend this kit enough.

Pros

-The subject is unique
-The kit quality is exceptional
-It’s a simple kit while still being a very satisfying build
-Lots of room for detailing and weathering if that’s your thing

Cons

-Reference material is virtually non existent
-Some unidirectional part shapes despite options in instructions (parts only fit “closed” when “open” is shown).
-Good detail often equals fragile
-Need to paint as you build

Copper State recently released 6 figures to man this contraption but they’re about 1/3 the price of the model each. I’ll probably grab one or two because they’ll help flesh it out but I’m not dropping $120, especially the way I paint faces.

@DennisatAutoloader , @Mead93 , @Panzer_modeler

If you want to add to your collection of oddball Canadian stuff, make sure to snag this.

11 Likes

How much is that bad boy and where did you get it? It looks really neat and you did an amazing job on it. I love oddball vehicles

1 Like

Looks great Don, brilliant work.

I really must get stuck into mine. CSM do some great kits. The Romfell Panzerwagen is a must have.

1 Like

https://www.wheelswingsestore.com/csm35006-copper-state-models-1-35-canadian-armoured-mg-carrier

Feel free to shop around though.

2 Likes

I love these unusual subjects. Nicely done!

2 Likes

Thanks for the ping! Looks amazing @Canmedic . Really well done, you’ve clearly done a very unique subject justice. I’m seriously considering getting one for myself.

Again, great work!

Dennis

Great work Don. The whole model came out amazing but the wood floor really strikes me as outstanding. Fantastic results and impressive weathering overall.