Copper State Models: New Armoured Car | Armorama™

Work in progress at Copper State Models is its 1/35 scale kit of the Lancia Armoured Car as used by British and Irish armed forces. No specific release date as yet, but is planned to be available in 2024.

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://armorama.com/news/copper-state-models-new-armoured-car
10 Likes

More CSM magic. I love their models.

3 Likes

Oh yes please.

2 Likes

Great for modelling Anglo Irish War/Irish Civil War. Never thought I’d see one of these!

2 Likes

Some of the Irish operated vehicles were modified with an armored roof and became known as ‘Hooded Terror’s’.
After partition the new police force in the north, the Royal Ulster Constabulary, also used the Lancia- they modified them sometimes as well with armor over the engine and cages over the rear bed. I believe they last saw service as armored cars in the mid 1930s in the north. After that, those remaining in service apparently had their armor removed and became lorries with a handful serving at stations right up to the 1960s.

1 Like

it looks here …

4 Likes

Perhaps an image where we can see the model a bit better.

There was a famous wrestler/street fighter in Belfast during the 1920s/30s known as “the Hooded Terror”. Wonder if there was a connection?

2 Likes

Can’t say I’ve ever heard of him- but considering the Hooded Terror’s were manufactured in Ireland for use by the Irish Forces I’d say the connection is unlikely.

Edit: Just wondering where you heard about the ‘Hooded Terror’ in Belfast?

1 Like

One of my father’s stories of Old Belfast was “the time Buck Alec chased the Hooded Terror up York Street”. Buck Alec was a legendary street fighter, police officer, sectarian gunman and Belfast “character”. Others of that ilk included Silver McKee, Stormy Weatherall, Squeezer Lemon and Sailor Greer.

1 Like

Very interesting Steve- I’ve heard of Buck Alec before! My father had some great stories of Belfast characters as well!

1 Like