Display/Demo Aircraft Campaign

Welcome to the Official Display/Demo Aircraft Campaign on the new KitMaker/Aeroscale forums! This campaign will run until June 1, 2021. Post your campaign related discussion and pictures here. It’s been a great campaign so far!

Michael :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m in!

Ok I have done some work on my Tornado F3 will add images later

Here are progress pics and the box art and decal options

Pete

Some more work completed on F3 Tornado

Tail on and some minor detail completed.

Pete

Moving my entry over here’s the start photo.

With my new decals
Imgur
Looks like the links woked. :wave:

Which markings are you using from the pack MD? I like the blue /grey 2 tone.
Here is my progress on the F3 Tornado.

Starting Decals.
This is the markings I am using.

Work done this afternoon

Beauty!

Thanks Michael

Pete

I’ve got a Hasegawa Mitsubishi Karigane demo plane in an interwar silver and blue scheme I’ve been looking forward to building.

1 Like

Hi everyone! I have been eyeing this campaign since it started as Display/Demo aircraft are one of my favorites. I just finished up a build that took up most of my modeling time this year, so I thought it would be fun to contribute to this campaign. I will be building the Airfix 1/72 Folland Gnat kit. The markings will be for the Red Arrows when they visited the US for the first time in 1972. I saw them perform at Transpo 72 which was the first airshow that I ever attended and they were impressive! Here’s what I am starting out with:

I will be using the Gnat decals from S&M Models.

While the side view does not show the 1972 version, the correct markings are on the decal sheet for Transp 72. The markings are similar to those shown in the 1978 side view:

On to the cockpit!
Have fun modeling
Mike
:beer:

While I am working on the cockpit, I did some prep work on the fuselage. I used Liquid Gravity to add weight to the nose in order to prevent the model from being a tail sitter. I was much too liberal in adding the metal balls and I needed to grind some of the excess off.

The intakes have a sudden transition from the exterior red to the interior light gray. Trying to mask this off would be a greater challenge than I would like. The way around this is to paint the internal intakes first:

Then I painted the front of the intakes in the final red color. Now all I need to do is fare in the front intakes and mask off the entire intake while finishing the kit and this should give me a nice sharp color transition. We will soon see if that works!

Have fun modeling
Mike

1 Like

Things have been a little quiet in this campaign, so I thought I would give an update on my build. The cockpit is now painted, weathered and ready to add to the fuselage before closing things up. I replaced the kit cockpit with a resin set from Pavla. Here’s how it now looks:

Now for the challenge in seeing if it will fit within the fuselage halves without major surgery!
Have fun modeling
Mike

1 Like

Continuing on my journey, I now have the Gnat buttoned up and looking like a real airplane. There are a few seams that will need to be filled along with adding some detail parts (antennas, tailplanes,etc.) before I start painting this up in proper colors.

Have fun modeling!
Mike

1 Like

Seems ages since I started this build, for me anyway. I have actually completed it now the older images are on the old site.

I enjoyed the campaign thanks Michael.

Pete

3 Likes

Pete, congrats on completing your Tornado! It looks great, i really like that scheme. In fact, I might try and do this scheme in 1/72 sometime in the future.

Have fun modeling!
Mike

Very nice indeed, Pete!