Display/Demo Aircraft Campaign

@noddy927 - Looks great, well done, mate! :+1:

Thanks guys much appreciated. I look forward to seeing the rest of the builds here come to fruition.

Pete

Continuing on with my Gnat build, I wanted to do something to dress the model up a bit. One easy way to do this is to add some transparent wing lights as the kit sorta has these scribed into the gray plastic. First, I cut out the areas where the wing tip lights would be.

I then painted the cutout using Testors metallic silver as a backing for the light.

I then epoxied clear red and green plastic on the appropriate wing tips and sanded and polished them down to conform to the wing surface. Here’s how it looks when finished:

I realized that I forgot to take photos after I glued the blocks of clear plastic onto the wings but before I did the sanding/polishing. You get the idea, though! I did the same thing for the tail light on my Phantom build and did take the photos of the clear red block which you can see in my post in the current Phantom Campaign.
Have fun modeling!
Mike
:beer:

2 Likes

@V2Phantom - Very good, again! :+1:

Everything that should be added to the Gnat prior to painting is now on the model and it is ready for the red final coat. Here’s how the Gnat looks with a base coat of white MR Surfacer primer.

Now it’s on to add some color - red!!
Have fun modeling
Mike

2 Likes

@V2Phantom - Well done so far, Mike! Following now and waiting to see the “Redcoat” :wink:

Thanks B-17-peter! With a little luck, that’s what I’ll be working on this weekend. I am looking forward to seeing it dressed up in its red coat myself!
Have fun modeling!
Mike

My Red Arrows Folland Gnat is now looking the part. Here’s the Gnat after giving the model coats of white, blue and red in that order. I used ModelMaster gloss white followed by Xtracolor blue and red so I will let the paint fully dry for a week or so before I start adding the decals. This will give me some time to do some painting on the cockpit.

Have fun modeling!
Mike

2 Likes

Time to show the Gnat wearing a mix of markings! The decals are now on and it has an overall coat of Alclad Aqua Gloss to blend everything in. Here’s what the little bug looks lke now:

Now to add some detailing such as additional antennas, panel wash, etc. before it gets a final semi gloss overcoat.
Have fun modeling!
Mike

2 Likes

Looking good, Mike! :+1:t3:

Assembly complete and blue paint

Silver paint over masked blue paint

Decals on, almost there

1 Like

Hi all,

I’ve gone through my pics and can’t find the start photos. I’m a bit baffled, but I just turned 60. The wife says it might be me. We’re discussing this. I’ll admit, I’ve lost this one.

So, Pasi, convinced me to get this kit while I watched his build for the aluminum cans campaign (Glare?). I’m doing it, and will be doing it as a Thunderbird. I want another bird to get closer to having examples of the Century Series in the books.

This pic is the first I can find of this build:

So friends, can I be in this campaign?

Certainly, sounds perfect!

Michael :stuck_out_tongue:

This is a great looking color scheme, Btwosan!
Have fun modeling
Mike

1 Like

Now that I am on the home stretch with my Gnat build, the focus is on adding the small details to finish the model. I completed the ejection seats this week so I thought I would post a few photos.

When I was doing my research on the Red Arrows Gnats, I found that the ejection seats looked a bit different early on. The big visual difference is that the overhead double pull rings in the kit and aftermarket set are for the later versions of the Gnat. In 1972, the ejection seats had a single rectangle looking pull ring on the seat. So I chopped off the double pull ring and made a new one from brass ire. After little paint, it looks more the part!

Have fun modeling!
Mike

2 Likes

Completed Karigane Kamikaze

3 Likes

Excellent and colorful build, Btwosan!

Mike

Have fun modeling!

@Btwosan - Looks awesome, mate! :+1:t3: :+1:t3:

Well, it’s time to wrap up this campaign for me. I finished the Red Arrows Gnat and it is now up on my model shelf. Overall, I am not too happy with the way it turned out as there were some last minute fit problems and builder errors :rofl:. However, it does add another spot of color on the shelf!

It has been a fun build and I am glad to get another flight team model completed.
Have fun modeling!
Mike

1 Like

Great work, Mike! I really like it, congrats! :+1:

Unfortunately I’m out of the campaign, some other kits in my stash seduced me to build them now, so I ran out of time for this campaign…sorry.
I will watching the results anyway.
Cheers
Peter :raising_hand_man: