DKM Gneisenau 1/350

Gentlemen,

thank you all so much for following and especially your kind replies!

I have a little bit more to show, actually not all that much time at the bench, but some presentable effects.

First I realized that I missed out some extra layer of wood that goes underneath the anchor chains. That’s pretty realistic, and after a little consideration and fitting I managed to install it:

Gneisenau 34 - 4

The rest was about getting the wooden deck down and fixed, so that I can now start with detailing.

Gneisenau 34 - 1

Gneisenau 34 - 2

Gneisenau 34 - 3

Gneisenau 34 - 5

Gneisenau 34 - 6

The fit of the Pontos deck is just outstanding, real fun to work with!! (And besides, I like how my paintwork came out, too.)

So here’s, well, not where I am at; that would mean parts were ready, but they are all dry fitted and without any detailing so far. But it already looks like a Gneisenau-class battleship!

Gneisenau 34 - 7

Gneisenau 34 - 8

Gneisenau 34 - 9

I should find some more bench time on Sunday…but I can’t really make any promises.

Thank you all for looking in and as always, any comments and recommendations highly appreciated!

Cheers
Jan

10 Likes

Wow, Jan, what can I say? Those gleaming wood decks are absolutely stunning! I can’t wait to watch as you move on to you detail Gneisenau!

1 Like

DITTO!

Mark :beer:

1 Like

Looking wonderful, I must say!

1 Like

Dear Gentlemen,

thank you so much for your kind comments!

Sunday I managed a little more, now looking at smaller parts again: the 3,7 cm Flak C30.

I had build three versions (Dragon/kit’s own version - Flyhawk - Veteran Models) earlier on, and thanks to RollTide (David), who kindly provided the VeryFire offering, that I still can’t find here in Germany, I could build a fourth different version:

Gneisenau 35 - 15

Gneisenau 35 - 16

Gneisenau 35 - 17

This is a very nice representation of the gun, and since there are eight in the box, I actually might choose this one for my Gneisenau. Well, if I fumble one, which is more likely than not, I can still use them for a heavy cruiser, which have six of those mounts…

You can find more details of the 3,7 cm builds in my separate build log.

For now, as always, thank you all for looking in!

Cheers
Jan

8 Likes

great work

1 Like

Dear all,

on with the 3,7 cm business. I did a detailed step by step for the Veteran Models here in the separate :arrow_right: 3,7 cm FLAK build log.

So here’s a brief look on them:

Gneisenau 36 - 16

Gneisenau 36 - 17

Gneisenau 36 - 19

Gneisenau 36 - 20

Gneisenau 36 - 21

Cheers
Jan

6 Likes

Beautiful, Jan. The Veteran Models version is the best yet!

1 Like

Oh they look delicately beautiful :+1:

1 Like

Thanks gents! Very kind!

I added the remaining 3,7 cm AA gun kits to my excerpt, here’s all of them together.

Gneisenau 36 - 25

Gneisenau 36 - 26

Gneisenau 36 - 27

Gneisenau 36 - 28

Gneisenau 36 - 29

My ranking is

1 - Veteran Models

2 - Very Fire

3 - Flyhawk with additional Master barrels

4 - Dragon kit’s part.

I’ll proceed with Veteran for my Gneisenau, more details on why and the pro’s and con’s if you like you can see on my separate 3,7 cm FLAK build log.

Cheers for now
Jan

4 Likes

Jan,

I agree with your rankings, but really they all look excellent! What a great time to be a modeller when we are so spoilt for choice! Thanks again for posting this little comparison.

1 Like

Tim,

thank you very much - and I fully agree with you, it’s just great to have so many choices. Just a few years back that would not have been thinkable…

So here’s my first two Veteran Model 3,7 cm FLAK painted. I’ll leave it at that for the main build log, more pictures from the different versions in my separate 3,7 cm FLAK blog.

Gneisenau 37 - 10

Gneisenau 37 - 11

Gneisenau 37 - 13

Gneisenau 37 - 14

As always, thanks for looking, and all comments welcome. Next will be the serial production and probably some more small weapons, hopefully next weekend.

Cheers
Jan

7 Likes

The 37mms look great under paint. The complexity of these little castings is mind boggling! :astonished:

1 Like

These look amazing with paint on Jan :slightly_smiling_face:

any of the different choices of 37mm you’ve shown here would look great on Gneisenau! :cowboy_hat_face:

Good work, mate :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you very much, Gentlemen!

Ok, here’s a small teaser, again Veteran, I’d call it a prototype, I have to modify the building sequence. Maybe I am going to use it, the elevating ‘mechanism’ is pretty bent, but then again it’s almost impossible to see on the finished gun. Small PE parts on the forward upper edge are still missing. More in a few days…

Gneisenau 37a  - 1

Cheers
Jan

10 Likes

Looks pretty good to me, mate :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Like all of the Veteran upgrade parts, it looks great!

1 Like

Dear all,

thanks for looking and your kind comments!

So here is a little more on the 10,5 cm:

Gneisenau 38 - 19

Gneisenau 38 - 35

Gneisenau 38 - 36

Gneisenau 38 - 37

Gneisenau 38 - 38

For more details, I have created a separate step-by-step 10,5 cm blog .

Those little guns look really great, a superb kit and addition to the model by Veteran.

I’ll be busy with my 1:1 for the next week and a half, so the next update will be a bit away. I hope you all stay with me here, thanks for looking and cheers

Jan

7 Likes

Those 105s are looking truly exceptional, Jan! Your step-by-steps have convinced me to go all in on Veteran IJN upgrades for my Mogami. Thanks!

Cheers,

Marty

2 Likes

Jan, continuing to make large strides forwards with these excellent additions to the model. :cowboy_hat_face:

Looking very good, mate :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like