Does this count as Sci-Fi?

Hi, I don’t think I have posted on Model Geek before. Anyways, This is the K Class inter-orbital corvette HMSS Kelly in 1/700(ish) scale …anyone get the namesake eh?
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2niNpkb]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2niKTDY]

If you are not familiar with this class of ship, or the setting, don’t worry, there is none. It is my design…well, doodle more like. This is why I am asking if it counts as Sci-Fi or a what if. What is the difference in between? There is a little bir of disagreement on the subjet here in Turkey.

It all started with a redundent lighter I found in the park. Removed the metal parts and started to ad bits and pieces. The upper deck and tail boom is a disposable plastic fork, engines are parts of insulin shringes, engine pontoons are from a headphone packaging, gun turret and sensor cowlings are 6mm airsoft BBs, gun barrels are shringe needles, some styrene sheeting so on so forth. Cheers.

13 Likes

I’d say it counts as Sci-Fi. I like it. It’s very creative. Well done.

Jim

4 Likes

Wow- this is a fantastic piece- I thought it was a kit of some sort when I saw the first pic- totally surprised and impressed to see it’s made of random items that would probably end up in a bin! Just an awesome level of creativity :+1:!

3 Likes

Really cool!

This is definitely sci-fi. What-if is more about events having different outcomes. What if germany won. What if Anakin killed Palpatine in Revenge of the Sith. Scratch building a unique piece is what sci-fi is all about.

2 Likes

Looks awesome to me. :+1:

1 Like

That is a very cool build! Totally get the reference and love the dazzle camouflage.
Brilliant use of scrap, you can find some really interesting shapes and textures in house hold objects.
I’ve always wanted to have a crack at doing something myself. Got a couple of ideas to use up some really crappy kits, just never got them off the ground.

2 Likes

Absolutely this is Sci-Fi, it’s going back to the origins of SFX movie models before CGI came to dominate. What Ifs are more variants on stuff that existed in the real world, or could have; think warships that never made it off the slipway (or drawing boards), Paper Panzers, in-service models of aircraft that never got past the prototype stage and that sort of thing.
I have been an advocate of the kind of model you have created on several threads on “Kitmaker” and have even managed to briefly overcome my non-building problem to create something similar, albeit inferior. Imagining the background for such builds is part of the fun, although I can start something with no real idea what it will end up as…

Regards,

M

1 Like

That looks very cool, original, and proportional.

The Dazzle camouflage is a real eye-catcher, so are the color scheme you choose.

Thumbs up! :grinning:

1 Like

I love that Neutron Nebulizer you put on it! Is the vessel equiped with a Cloaking Device?

1 Like

excellent work and yes i count it as sci-fi!

1 Like

SURE DOES IN MY BOOK! There once was a company called Industrial Light & Magic who created the Star Wars Universe with bits and pieces before CGI came into its prime. As far as I am concerned, you are in outstanding company! Keep looking around!!

2 Likes

Thank you all for your kind remarks…and also confirming my belief. Although it will be hard to change my countrymen’s mind, I feel somewhat more comfortable. To be honest I am indeed a professional concept artist and thus experienced in designing props and items for games. But this is not my field of expertise since I haven’t designed many spacecraft professionally. So, you gentlemen(I haven’t noticed any ladies, if there was, I duely apologise) approving y little ship is a great honour and compliment in my perspective. Thank you all again and I think I will continue similar doodling in the future and post in the visinity:} Cheers.

Have I?, I am afraid I am not familiar with the equipment. Which part is it? I may have done some accidental “good job”.

I have a non PC expression for that….let’s just say I don’t pay them any mind anymore. :joy:

Please post more. :+1:

1 Like

I would categorize it as sci-fi under the scratchbuilt category. It’s great to see more people on the forum doing scratchbuilt work and extending their creative reach. Well done.

Ivar
www.creativedioramas.com

1 Like

There’s an old saying, opinions are like a$$h0les, everyone has one but some really stink. Come and play here where your creations will be appreciated for what they are.
It’s SGTJKJ’s party, but as this wasn’t built in conjunction with any other Group Build if this was completed recently I think it may be eligible for the “Sci-Fi and Alternative history campaign VIII” GB; it’s probably worth checking it out, your spacecraft deserves a proper home…

Regards,

M

3 Likes

Boo ya! Will do. I have a few more projects going on, if I manage to find time and effort in me.

PS: Oops! I’ve written this message 2 days ago and forgot to send. Apologies.

And I have got myself a gold medal in Sci Fi Ships category in the national (well, more like local, since it is open to international participants) competition this weekend. Seems like constant bickering worked. Thou to be honest there wasn’t a great turn up in the category.

7 Likes

You cannot control who shows up, a win is a win. :+1:

2 Likes

Congratulations, a well deserved award!

1 Like