Does Vallejo Model Air require thinning for hand brushing?

I understand it’s just a pre-thinned version of their Model Color line. Should it be thinned anyway? How about a retarder or flow improver - for brushing?

I find Air usually to watery for brush painting. I think if a small detail it can be used. No need to use thinner or flow improver. Really if there was a paint thickener, that would be helpful.

3 Likes

It’s a different painting experience, but I still recommend using a Wet Palette to keep it active. HTH.

3 Likes

I have a few shades of bright green color from model air (but can’t remember which ones they are) but I use them for hand painting grass on vignettes and my figure bases. I do use it on my wet palette yes.

1 Like

I think as Ryan, they are too thin for regular brush painting. Maybe with several layers, awaiting to dry between them, it could work. But better use Model Color.

3 Likes

They can be hit and miss with brush painting- typically I find that the lighter the color is the worse the coverage. The good thing is they flow nicely right out of the bottle.

2 Likes

Not great for brush painting. You need a couple of coats to get a good solid colour and definitely need a primer undercoat as they can pool and form little puddles when brushed on bare plastic.
Now their Modelair metallics are another story. I find they brush beautifully. The silver and aluminium come out looking very nice even when brushed.

2 Likes

The Model Color and Panzer Aces hand paint fantastic.

Also take a look at Mission Model,I like the way they hand brush

1 Like