Dragon Elephant #6871 Issues

LOL! :laughing: :rofl: :joy: I know there is SO Much to love about that particular kit! (#6001). Mine had lots of sink marks in various parts as well to add to fun!

I too picked up a newer Dragon Nashorn to replace the old built #6001

2 Likes

Yes. And it’s ‘you’re’.

I’m a teacher so I won’t let those things slide.

3 Likes

If you think this is incredibly inaccurate, you should try the only option at that time, Italeri. No zimmerit at all, to start with.

Dragon may have issues on their instructions, and some fails, but in general they are much better detailed than most of the contemporary brands -and even some of today.

1 Like

If the zimmerite being wrong is the only problem, I don’t see where your “Incredibly Inaccurate” comment comes from. The Nahorn 6001, now THAT was incredibly inaccurate. The Tamiya and Italeri Panther A, those are incredibly inaccurate. I’ve built the Dragon Elephant and it’s a good kit. Maybe a few tweeks here and there, but what kit doesn’t? But to have a meltdown over zimmerite in the wrong place? Geeze.

5 Likes

Sad to read that people is not critic with the brand because this or that kit is good.

We are not in 1985 and all kits in a particular level of price must be good.

Dragon has complicated instructions, some missing steps, terrible DS tracks sometimes and this terrible errors like kit 6871 in zimerrit, come on!!!

I don´t pay 60$ to be scrapping the zimmerit and destroying some parts of the kit (sorry for my english I don´t know the name). If you enjoy such tasks, Dragon is for you but not for me.

And yes, having zimmerit there is a HUGE innacuracy, so huge that is not even in the photo of the box.

Now there are other brands so you don´t need to waste time with Dragon anymore.

By the way, what a nice forum! full of activity, loved to have found it :grin:

1 Like

much better that, I prefer to put zimmerit with some of the available kits than sanding it and destroying the hinges of the hull

I understand your frustration, but a couple of posits. The best (IMO) Elefants on the market, are tamiya and amusing hobby, neither of which come with good zimmerit. Both run $80 USD plus, so buying the dragon for $60 and removing the zimmerit seems like a bargain to me.

Two, if this is a huge inaccuracy for you, you’re in for a shock. Many kits, yes even those made today, have shape issues that are much harder to resolve than a bit of sanding. Hell, even tamiya who might be the best overall manufacturer, in my opinion messed up their F-35 with overly thick panel tape

3 Likes

With ~34+ years of building Dragon kits, am informed of what Dragon offers like the majority of modelers here.

Price and quality, don’t always coincide. Example the most expensive luxury cars are seldom the most reliable for long term service, especially after warranty expires.

Sorry but that statement in bold is ridiculous. Mask the surrounding details with a couple layers of mask tape. Carefully sand away and/or sand & fill the offending area of zimmerit.

Terrible Error is a whole different level magnitude error in my opinion. Removing some surface details is an annoying level of error. Very fixable if the modeler wants to fix it.

I agree no one wants to have to fix such an annoying error after paying ~$60 for a kit. Abandoning the $60 model because of a minor fixable imperfection? That’s definitely a modeler driven choice not an issue with the kit manufacturer. I know because long ago I’ve tossed kits in the trash after getting annoyed with them for similar minor issues.

Are the punch marks under the fenders scrapped away and filled? Is the seam inside the muzzle brake addressed? All of the mold seams on the wheels removed? Seam free main gun barrel? Does the model sit with all of the wheels touching as they shoukd with none floasting? Those are all far more depressing errors if they occur and are missed than a little molded in Zimmerit in the wrong place in my experience.

The time is only wasted if you abandon the kit and don’t finish it.

Definitely agree!

Would like to see more of your model builds! Please post more pictures!

5 Likes

I recommend you look at Scalehobbyist. The Tamiya kit is only $62 + $10 ship there. The AH kit is $72 plus, but it has a full set of innards.

KL

2 Likes

If you want to talk about Dragon inaccuracies, there’s Dragon’s (very) first Jeep kit, which was actually worse than earlier Italeri, and Tamiya releases. The most obvious error was the front grill which was inexcusably wrong - which just about everyone else, in any scale, managed to get right! There were also several other more minor errors. That kit soon went OOP (with no apologies from Dragon) to be replaced with their LRDG/SAS jeeps (which addressed the many errors). That kit no longer seems to be mentioned. Maybe an embarrassment?
:smiley: :canada:

2 Likes

Sorry to say I deeply disagree with most of what you say but I appreaciate your oppinion.

For me things like this are unnaceptable in 2023. We should ask for quality and be critic if a brand always is having problems. I didn´t mention that I had to throw away the DS tracks, worse than old rubber tracks from the 80´s. This kit is a complete crap.

About your ask, where can I post more pictures? any part of the forum dedicated to that?

Many thanks

1 Like

Well, since you don’t like Dragon may I suggest Alan’s Pz I Bison kit if you ever decide to build that SPG?

2 Likes

More pictures can be posted here if you like. Likewise, they could also be posted in a new thread etc. Being new to the forum, I think the system limits you to a couple pictures per post for a few days.

Yes, we have different points of view on Dragon’s overall kit quality. I’m likely one of Dragon’s harsher critics on the forum. However, despite occassional missteps Dragon is a good solid Tier 2 manufacturer.

Dragon’s newer Pz IV, Panther G, JadgPanther & Tiger I kits are pretty nice to very niceBTThere’s probably ~20 to 25 unbuilt Dragon kits in my stash. I may buy an extra Dragon Mid Tiger 1 and Late Tiger 1 because two copies…aren’t enough! Some of those Dragon Tiger 1 kits are that good!

I’d hate to see another armor modeler who clearly loves armor modeling miss out on several wonderful kits of said subject matter due to one bad experience.

BTW - The defination of Terrible Kit is Alan’s SU-76. Likewise Dragon/Alan’s SU-76. Check out the reviews of that steaming pile! Or better yet build one! It was a true learning experience for me of just how bad a model can be…wink.

To be fair the kit wasn’t made this year. Scalemates shows it was new tool back in 2000 and has had a few parts added over the years

Oh…really an EXCELLANT kit!! Had that one 30 years ago. Can’t recommend it…highly enough! :crazy_face:
:smiley: :canada:

Agreed! And since you brought this up, I know not to buy this kit. Thanks.
Since you already spent the money on it, and the time to build it, I would recommend you finish it up and use it for practice painting, weathering, etc. This is often called a paint mule, and many modelers have one. If not, I find fire crackers and bb guns to be a great way to get revenge on a bad kit. :boom:
Ken

Have you seen all pics of Ferdinands? Maybe some had this feature?
As Kurt said, sand it off and move on.

2 Likes

This is my thought not many Ferdinand’s made it to be upgraded to elefants, maybe 40 or so? Of these I’ve found it incredibly hard to find unique pictures of them. Just the same couple examples from various angles. Coupled with that I think only two made it to the battle of Berlin and 2-3 exist today. Given the difficulty of finding examples to work off I don’t think it is super egregious of dragon to put zimmerit somewhere it doesn’t show in photos but could possibly exist

1 Like

Imagine what he must think of HKM’s Lancaster which needed work on the pilot’s seat? That’s a $300 kit.

Or the fact pretty much no aircraft kits come with the wiring harness for the cylinders.

HOW INACCURATE!!!

1 Like

Never built the Aer ASU-57 then?

Damon.

1 Like