Dynamo Models: US Quadmount Machine Gun | Armorama™

A side note that might rain on some parades to some extension but deserves to be mentioned. For what I can see Dynamo kit features the long-nose turret shield originally designed for the M16 half tracks though the box art shows the shorter snub-nose.

The Quad .50 had two different designs of gun shield assemblies, a shorter on the M45C mount, and a slightly longer on the M45D/F mount. Difference was that the shorter M45C was designed for the trailers and M45D/F was made for the M16 half-tracks (and navy IRC) that had higher mounts for a lower depression (as these were mounted on elevated positions).

I don’t know the mix of these during WWII but “post M16” both M45C and D/F ended up on the gun trucks in Vietnam (and later liberally applied on all types of mounts as of collectors). If you have Doyles Gun truck books there is a good shot on p.49 in the old one and p.60 in the new Squadron signal of both types on Quad-trucks in the same shot.

The M45C is still predominantly seen on the trailers, though people can probably dig up some pic the D/F in ground position trailer as I assume both was used on trailers as the M16 was retired. As seen on gun trucks in Vietnam an additional base ring was sometimes added to the trailer bed to give better height. Both M45C and D/F used single and double ring outfits on Gun trucks in Vietnam.

Pic left. Snub-nose [a nickname of mine, ie. unofficial] standard, single base ring. Pic right. Long-nose on a double base ring on Gun truck (this is not an original vehicle but a museum one, but montage is identical to the ones used in Nam). Note how M45C ends above the bolted turret ring and its blunt nose, and how the longer nose M45D/F “M16” with its sharper end is covering it.

4 Likes

Hello Paul!
Welcome to the forums and thanks a lot for your interesting remarks. The difference you’re writing about, while definitely something to pay attention to is not so easy to spot, unless you have a side by side comparison like you did here.
It’s no wonder Dragon and Dynamo kits have a halftrack style design in them - the Dragon kit was a way to repurpose halftrack sprues, you even get a halftrack windshield on the clear parts sprue.
I have to compare the Dragon shield with the AFV Club shield, I think AFV Club shield would be different style and maybe could be substituted here.
Here are some photos of my Dynamo kit build. I added an extra ring to the base, made from leftover AFV Club parts:
1:35 Dynamo Models M55 Quad .50 by Pawel

Thanks for looking and have a nice day

Paweł

4 Likes

Than you Pawel and a really impressive kit build you got there! I’m most likely gonna get one too as soon as I can figure out what to do shield wise.

Though I haven’t checked them all and its hard to tell in that small scale from pictures not taken from the side, but at a glance it seems that many (or most) 1/35 scale M55’s & M16’s are actually various composite solutions of the C-D/F shields that tricks the eye.

As you say in reality they are hard to distinguish by them selves unless seen from the horizontal front or side (or know what to look for), and even harder in 1/35 possibly for reason above. And it doesn’t help that the one Doyle have as reference pics in his books seems to be a cut off long nose D/F shield to look like a C for a M55 staging purpose. If this is something of a home made job or unknown version of the shield I don’t know (or some other motivation behind this), but at time being its the only one I have seen and it is NOT standard at least up to mid 1960’s. [As often with military material there is always something one have missed or some explanation out there so I’m open for suggestions, but keep an eye on it till then as it is a land mine concerning reference].

Here is another comparison shot to train the eyes a bit. Its obvious a difference when lining them up like this. Still can’t say if the snub-nosed C is a modified D/F or they were produced separately as two different versions with different angels on the shape. [Left one is Alamy, right one by someone called Steve Heeb.]

1 Like

Check the various Star Decal sheets of M55 quad gun trucks as they offer a few; some have ground mounts as well. They come with templates for the different shields on them.

I used a Star Decals sheet and shield templates recently on my “Easy Rider” gun truck.
M54A2 Quad .50 Guntruck “Easy Rider” - Armor/AFV / Cold War - KitMaker Network

2 Likes

Wow nice! Hey, I saw this one before! I mean your truck. Awesome.

Damn I have to get those decals. Really good templates for the gun shields.

And at least if Star decals are correct in size one could use them as a sort of guide for a scalpel job snubbing the nose off the M45 gun shield. Notice how the stripes covers the vertical front, that’s what we want on the 45C.

5cf8dbf64decd6437d9610869214cd6c6b8b388e_2_652x500

2 Likes

Unfortunately, the Star Decal for the nose armor is not a one-piece decal. You have to paint the white arc and the red stripes are each an individual straight-line decal of varying lengths. I placed them all on then retraced the arc using blue paint above to get the angled tops of the red stripes. They are in the green box below.

You are instructed to “Cut to fit” on the instruction sheet.

Luckily, the side armor stripes and stars are solid decals, not individual pieces like the nose armor stripes.

2 Likes