Ejection Seats and Cockpits, a modelers headache…

The T/A-37 seat is an interesting system and a good example of evolution. From the initial seat utilizing a Franklin Arsenal ballistic catapult to a rocket propelled seat with state of the art stabilization systems.

The initial seat configuration with the M-4 catapult was a simple head rest, that was flat. In 1959 they upgraded the catapult to the M-5 unit. Initial envelope was roughly minimum altitude of 2000”. Below 2000’ a Zero second delay lanyard was utilized to facilitate rapid seat separation. Then they upgraded the headrest to afford better helmet stability with the addition of a bult up headrest and a notch. Eventually the 0-0 system was installed with the inclusion of two seat back rockets in addition to the ballistic catapult.

Finally the addition of Talley rockets to the seat via TO 1A-37-550 likely around Sep 1983. Even with the addition of rockets the seat was not a 0/0 seat. The seat envelope is for speeds above 80 Kts and 100’ of altitude. The system will propel the electee up to an altitude of 165’ with the cute opening around 155’

It’s interesting to note the 1993 Release Monogram kit was likely based on the A-37B aircraft stationed at Peoria Ill, with the Rocket seats. These were not used in Viet Nam.

‘The Trumpeter release dating from 2014 likely were based on “modern” A-37B configurations.

The Aires cockpit for the Monogram and Trumpeter kits are likely the best Viet Nam era configuration.

A-37B cockpit, pilot side

A-37B cockpit, copilot side

Initial seat in the T-37A Webber seat model 75124

Updated headrest T-37A

Webber seat in the T-37, , in this case in a US Army aircraft.
Initial seat configuration flat headrest, up to late 1980

Seat Catapult housing

Talley modified Copilot seat back, less M-5 catapult. The springs are used as counter weights to adjust the seat up and down.

Pilot seat

Copilot seat

Pilot gunsight

Cockpit Inst Panel, pilot

I took this shot while I was going through the US Army Maintenance Officer/Test Pilots course at Ft Eustis VA, Oct 80-Mar 81. I would routinely hit the T line at Langley AFB on the weekends. The initial configuration of the seat headrests is evident. This is likely the configuration a Viet Nam era aircraft should look like. Within a couple of years the seat headrest would be modified and eventually the addition of rockets to the seatbacks.

I have one shot of an A-37B with black headrests taken in 81-82…

Bryan

1 Like