‘Engine Trouble’ - Leopard 1V and Bergingstank

I want to do the opposite! During trials for the new tank, the Dutch Army tested a Chieftain against a Leopard. The Leopard won obviously, but I’d like to build a Chieftain in Dutch colours to show what could have been

2 Likes

You should both build your “cross service” what if’s @BootsDMS and @Jasper_Breur and then pose them together in an appropriate scheme “somewhere in Germany”!

:grin:

1 Like

Funnily enough, I know the Germans also trialled Chieftain - (or I might be confusing it with the Israelis) as I said, this damn hobby…!

But a Chieftain in Gelboliv? But ther’;s worse - in my mind - what about a Sturmpanzer Leopard (AVRE in Brit terms) with a 165mm demolition gun towing Giant Viper? Dear God, where does it all end…?

2 Likes

That does have a certain resonance, but at the moment I’m struggling to complete a half-built Conqueror; sigh.

1 Like

We used to go to the open days at Rommel Kaserne in Augustdorf and they nearly always had a Leopard 2 and ARRV there to do a pack lift demonstration. This is excellent work, am I seeing a slight nose down attitude on the ARRV due to the packs weight?

Definitely a cool looking tank yes. I do like the look of the boxy turret of the initial Leo 2 though.

Correct! The ARV is reversing so the blade is retracted, meaning the weight of the powerpack is supported by the suspension

That sir is masterful and is a detail that would be missed by many during a build.

1 Like

Very nice this has planted the seed of a similar idea but with the M88 and the Abrams. I am a US Army mechanic and have lived in my 88 and any showing of a recovery vehicle doing its job makes me happy.

2 Likes

Leo 1’s are/were sprinters, Leo 2’s are the weight lifters doormen/bouncers!

Leo 1’s do look sleek.
A German Friend trained on them, but when he got married, SwiMBO insisted he got rid of half of them!
He kept a de-turreted Leo 1 & an APC

So I hope this will make you happy:

A bilingual build report is at
Baubericht - M88 Bergepanzer .

More to make you happy. Built many years ago for a friend as a desk set.