Hi all well I have been given lots of ref pics of this engine and none of them are as distressed as this is, so a bit of white spirit and a cotton bud and it’s looking more like it should.
So next method, here is the sacrificial engine for this example (and for most of the others)
OK as I said at the start of this I use mostly enamels so I can’t say if this works with acrylics (although I’ve found in the past adding washing up liquid to the solution tends to have the same effect as white spirit)
If you want an engine that looks like it’s been in a dusty environment (as in my mad to the max bike)
Get an empty tin or bottle into that pour some matt colour of the earth in the area your engine has been driving in ( for the mad to the max bike I used sand as it was set in a desert, for this I’ve used earth)
Add talcum powder to it and mix keep adding talc till you get paste like consistency then add white spirit keep stirring till you get the consistency of milk, add the talc to the paint first don’t thin it till you’ve added the talc as the talc doesn’t seem to take the colour if you thin the paint first.
OK so use a big brush and load it with this mixture and dab it all over the engine(really cover it so it gets in all the nooks and crannies, then load your brush with white spirit (this is the important bit hold engine as it will be in the car or bike and flood the engine with white spirit just let gravity do its thing.
This is how it looks when dry
All the plastic parts I dab with ABT copper oxide blue patina
And again blend with white spirit
I also add ABT engine grease anywhere you might expect an oil leak