ESCI/Academy M60A1 RISE (1/35) Operation Desert Storm

That looks great!

1 Like

Thanks @bwilt, @metalhead85 and @Panzer_modeler! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really like the weathering. I am at the point of filters and washes on my Tamiya M60A1 but havent done it yet. What did you use and how did you do it? I would like to replicate what you achieved. thanks.

Thanks mate.

Here’s the gist of the paint and weathering:

1. Basecoated Desert Yellow
  2. Applied highlights with Buff
  3. Decals and Clear Coat
  4. Initial Pinwash
  5. Oil Dot filter all over. However, for the ERA blocks I applied filters of yellow and brown on some specific panels to make them look different
  6. Some more specific dust/earth oil paints applied to nooks and crannies of the model.
  7. Water Color Pencils (AK Pencil) used to apply another layer of dust and paint discoloration. This works great with the oil as the water color pencils do not activate the oil paint.
  8. Pigments applied on the running gear. Mix of vallejo light siena and light yellow ochre.
  9. Final pinwash
2 Likes

That is a really impressive M60A1 with great weathering.
Do you know what regiment or battalion "Rolling Thunder’ is attached to?

1 Like

Who says you can’t build them old kits and make them look good?..You certainly did a great job on this one! The finish and weathering look good and I would leave at this point and call it done.

ASig00

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words @dragon53 and @ArmoredSprue. I actually don’t know where rolling thunder was attached to - mostly referred to the photos over at primeportal for weathering the vehicle. This was one of my favorite builds in 2020. I added the orange identification tarp and some other bits before calling her done:

12 Likes

Kunjoro:

I am looking for a Desert Storm M60A1 connected to Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. I think “Rolling Thunder” may be connected to Camp Pendleton, California, so I was looking for a definitive answer.

Again, your M60A1 is really fantastic looking.

1 Like

The tank “American Express” was a reserve tank (8th Tank Bn) attached to 2nd Marine Division in support of .6th Marines. All east coast units. Tamiya has those decals in their M60A1 with ERA

1 Like