ESCI M998 Ambulance

Hello
I have this model in my stuff ( ESCI 5032 M998 Ambulance ). I can’t find any informations about this version. Is it ok for OIF 2003 ?
Thank You for help
Chris from Poland

No, it was an early prototype that was not bought by the US Military. The M997 4-person ambulance is what the US Military went with instead.

2 Likes

One good advice for ANY Esci HMMWV kit. Dispose it quietly in your trashbin. This kit is REALLY bad.

1 Like

Gino, what about the M996 Mini Ambulance?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7VFkrk83u0

2 Likes

M996 in GTA back in 1994.

4 Likes

The M996 was fielded and used for a while. I don’t think they were still being used in OIF though. I only saw M997 ambulances in my time in the US Army.

2 Likes

I think most Army Medical units opted for the Maxi over the Mini, but they were used.

3 Likes

The M996 in the pic is from SETAF. M996 is missing in my collection. Maybe I convert Academy kit into M996 and put it on ICM chassis.

1 Like

Hi Chris,
can you post some sprue shots? So that all can see how crappy the ESCI kit is?

1 Like

I don’t have one, but can confirm that the Esci HMMWVs were horrible. I built one (only one) a long time ago. The biggest issue with them is that the slope of the hood is off. It is too short at the front which causes the whole angle of slope to be too acute. It should be flatter. Also, the interior detailing on them was sparse, to say the least; there is none. Wheels/tires were horrible too, etc., etc., etc…

Here are the sprue shots from Scalemates. You can even see the wierd, rounded hood below.

Directions for their basic M1025 (incorrectly called an M998) to see how sparse the interior is.

1 Like

Some of their 1/35 scale kits were good (T-55, M60 A1), but the HMMWV´s were not. Didn´t they had an Avenger, too?

1 Like

Yes, there was a HMMWV Avenger in their line-up as well. It too was horrible with all the previous HMMWV issues and a lack of detail on the Avenger parts. The Italeri Avaenger is much better.

Their M60 series was very good. They still hold up well today. Their T55 was OK for the time. It was really early and not much info on T55s was out there. The newer offerings are much better detailed and more accurate.

1 Like

The only good 1:35 scale kits from Esci were the M60 series they did (M60A1, M60A3 and Magach 6). The T-55s were mediocre even by the standards of the day — see an article in Military Modelling from about thirty years ago, in which Bruce Crosby shows just what is wrong with it — and the less said about their T-72s, the better. The M60 series holds up pretty well, though. Sure, it’s not AFV Club, MiniArt or Takom standard, but it’s probably pretty telling that Italeri did reissue the M60s but none of the other 1:35scale Esci kits. I’d still recommend them to anyone looking for a basically good M60 kit on a budget, certainly above their Tamiya and Academy counterparts.

2 Likes

Totally agree!
Ken

2 Likes