F2A-2 Project

So as my latest project winds down, it’s time to start another. This is Tamiya’s 1/48 F2A-2 that I’ll be doing in the pre war USN Yellow Wings scheme for VF-2 “Flying Chiefs”. Last nite at IPMS I started construction and built most of the interior up to where I needed to start painting. The original molds date back to the mid 1970’s, and overall the detail in not too bad.

More to come once I’ve got some paint on this one…

2 Likes

Nice choice of planes. I will be watching as this is an interesting underdog for the USN but a very successful fighter for the Finnish. I want to do the Special Hobby Midway Buffalo someday. Good luck on that old Tamiya kit.

1 Like

Thanks John. I like the underdog warplanes for kit subjects. I still have a couple more Buffalos in my stash to build one day. One will be a Midway F2A-3, and the other most likely Dutch in the East Indies.

1 Like

So today was a lot of painting… and masking… I found some good photos of the F2A-2 prototype cockpit, and went with those as a guide. As you can see, the cockpit is typical of the Yellow Wings era, and mostly aluminum lacquer, but with black sidewalls above the consoles.

So I painted an aluminum base coat, and masked off the areas that would be black. Plus some Metalizer Steel on the engine to start that out

Next up is detail painting…

2 Likes

Looking good.
Going to be nice to see in the pre-war colours.