Faces are hard so I am going to start off easy!

Haha. OK I feel like this is cheating but I am new to figure painting but I have been studying up and I am going to give this one a plubic tryout. I am new to resin kits but the fits together pretty good.

4 Likes

Way to tackle the face but not having one. :joy:
I get it though. For your next figure a quick technique.

2 Likes

I’ve found, over the years, faces are always difficult- eyes even more so. The only way is to practice and experiment- oh and it won’t always go the way you want it to- but you can always reach for the thinner/paint remover and start all over again!
That being said, there’s nothing wrong with starting with a figure that doesn’t have a face- a lot of the techniques used in figure modelling (highlights, shadows, glazes etc) are used on all parts of a figure.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help. I watched alot of YouTube and basically leaned everyone has there own techniques and way they tackle the job. So I went a little bit further and got these dvds and learned what I think is the basic concept of shading and some tricks. These are great videos (4hrs ea.) if you can get your hands on them but there pretty pricey when you can find them.

1 Like

Calvin tan is one of my favorite figure painters. There are many others. The best way to improve your figure painting is by practice. You’ll eventually find out what works for you. It is very difficult especially the faces yes, but as I said keep practicing. I tried to emulate different styles and techniques but in the end you’ll find what’s best for you.

2 Likes

Thanks. I will say in the passed I have painted some ok figures but there faces were aways wrong and there eyes made you never want to look them in the face again but figures are something I really wish to get good at. So I just have to put in the hrs of practice now. Here is my waiting on me to complete rack! Haha

2 Likes

This is all I got done for the 1st day. I got busy but I think the fits are gluing together pretty good. Very little filler will be needed. this is a 120mm figure so I am not sure what scale that comes too but it’s twice the size of a 1/35th figure

2 Likes

120mm = 1/15 scale or there abouts.

That is why I have had it sitting in my closet for 5 years when I bought it I thought it was 1/35 scale, I didn’t look at it very closely when I ordered it. But after I watched these dvds I figured I would built it and see what I can do with something a little bigger and then work my way smaller.

1 Like

54mm is the figure scale that gets you close to 1/35. Depending on the sculptor it might be a little bigger like 1/32 but that can still work.

I completed the building of the figure tonight. They sent me extra weights and a few other parts except those little ass wing nuts! Come on guys I had to do a carpet craw on the last one of those. I wish they would have send a few extra of those

2 Likes

Once I got it built I primed it with a black coat of mig surface primer. Then after that dried I sprayed white mig primer straight down from the top to show me where the lighter shades will be to help give me a guide to pant it

2 Likes

Yes the white primer sprayed downward from above over a grey primer is an excellent guide to where you want the highlights, its something I use myself a lot. Also- Calvin Tan is a master- you can never go wrong with learning from him!

I think I might even start trying this technique on some of my model kits. I think it could come in handy in trying to train my eyes to start to see where shadows should be. Another way I think is just to take a picture at this stage then once the base coat in down all I got to do is review my pictures to recall where the shadow highlights where.

1 Like

So I went out on a lime and I tryed something I haven’t seen anyone do yet. I remembered I had some old gold leaf and that got me thinking about how I could make the helmet look copper. Then it hit me, if they made copper leaf I could use that instead of painting it. BAM they make copper and my local craft store even had some! It was going great until the POWER went out at my house because of a storm were having and I had to stop. But I think with a second coat of size glue I can touch up the the spots I missed. I found out the gold leaf and the silver leaf work alot better then the copper leaf. The copper leaf is stuck to the paper it came on and it hard to get off the paper sheet. The gold and silver come off easy. Maybe I just got a bad batch or something.

My next problem is I am wondering how sharp of a glue line I can do so I can try to get a brass ring to size (glue) down like the real helmet had around the window glass and the fittings ?

1 Like

Go to YouTube,search for (Blitz 72) his simplesty blew me away,and it works

Been working on painting his suit some. Getting there slowly. This guys has kinda been on the back burner.

3 Likes

Another update. Got the 1st coat of paint on the leather straps and looks alot better.

2 Likes

The only way to learn painting faces is doing it, you can read 100 books and watch al videos an youtube links yo can find. The only way to get it done is by using your brushes and practice.

2 Likes