Finished. Captured Sherman tow rig project

So this was a little side project just for fun between other stuff that i started about 15-16 yrs ago. Lost the idler wheels along the way and member Jlreyes181 was gracious to send me some replacements. It’s based somewhat loosely on the attached photo I saw back then. I like the cast hull Shermans so wanted to use one of those, and picked up the old Italeri kits for cheep. I scratched the roof from balsa and the stowage is a mix of scratch, resin and plastic spares. The horrible kit rubber band tracks tore of the port idler right off in the final hours, so the whole thing nearly went in the bin last night. CA wasn’t helping at all, so I ended up patching it in with a nail enough to stay on. Weathering is a combo of oil drybrushing, pin washes, and pigments from Ammo + others. I sponge painted the crosses with stencils. This was my first serious attempt at weathered wood, both on actual wood and on resin. I’m pretty happy with those. Disappointed with the idler wheel coming loose, and had to stop before anything else came off.
Thanks for looking!

20 Likes

Great job on the stowage and scratched roof, looks super!

2 Likes

Ditto on the stowage. Tarp looks really sharp. :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

Nice finish on an interesting and unique project. Your extra detailing is on point

2 Likes

Nice work and conversion!

2 Likes

Great idea, and well performed, lovely model!

2 Likes

What an impressive looking looking model! Love the detail you put on the model.

2 Likes

Good Job!!!
Excelent model :ok_hand:
Omar

2 Likes

FYI ~
When building a “rubber band track” Sherman I do 3 things:

1. I put either a brass or plastic, one piece cross axle in front to properly support the front drive sprockets.
  2. I install a hidden (hopefully) support wedge to help strengthen the rear idler pulley against the pull of the rubber band tracks. (I usually install this wedge at the 8-9 o’clock position behind the idler.) Lots of Super Glue used here!
  3. If the model has workable bogies I glue the front most bogie in the flat, horizontal position. This keeps the rubber band tracks from lifting the first road wheel unrealistically up in the air off the ground.

(Just my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps to give folks some ideas out there !)

Cheers!

Question: Is this intended to represent a captured Sherman tank then converted by the Germans or some sort of British RAM tank captured by the Germans?

I have absolutely no agenda in asking this question - I was just wondering what your thoughts were!

Either way I like it!

1 Like

Thanks!
My intent was a captured US Sherman.

@Panzer_modeler I summon you

@165thspc I would like to direct your attention to ep.9 of the Micro Machines podcast…

Where the main fact you will learn is the Ram is Canadian not Bri*ish

Also the Ram wasn’t based of a Sherman, it was a M3

1 Like

Very well done.

Question: would all that stowage be piled on the rear deck like that? I thought that’s were the air intakes & exhaust were located. I don’t that much about Sherman or Ram tanks.

Jim

It could be for that version. The intake on the A1 was closer to the turret ring. You can see a little on right side not covered by the tarp. The later decks had screens where the gear is stored. I am pretty sure I have seen them covered too.

The exhaust on the Sherman’s is out the rear, even underneath the shelve with the fuel cans and box.

Sherman information
http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/index.html

HTH

Thanks for the info, Ryan.

Jim

1 Like

That’s great info. So my tarp is bit too far forward. Yeah I suppose I overdid the coverage. Live and learn!

1 Like

Well I must admit I like it a lot - very different and well portrayed. Well done Greg!

1 Like

Potentially….placed in a winter diorama it wouldn’t be the first vehicle to have its intake covered to run warmer.

I don’t think it’s that bad that it would impair the tank operating, not like showing a plane inflight with FOD covers on.

1 Like

The Brits (and I assume the US as well) used turret-less “Tractor” Shermans. What is the proper term to use when referencing them?