This twenty-four year old DML T-34-85 was the second oldest of my vintage collection of kits on the Shelf of Shame. Finally, after a long time this T-34 goes to the display shelf! Very happy it’s completed . #5 for 2021
Please feel free to provide feedback,and constructive criticism.
USSR, 2nd Guards Tank Corps T-34-85
Cellphone pictures with flash.
Cellphone pictures without flash.
History & boring stuff…
Briefly, the project started with great enthusiasm 1997 just after the kit released. Planned as an Out of The Box build, it hit an iceberg almost immediately. Between each spoke of spider wheels a badly distorted sink mark appeared. The ~120 sink marks proved impossible for me to fix to a satisfactory standard. A friend offered to trade wheels but his DML kit had exactly the same issue.
Shelved until 1999 when I learned Chesapeake Model Designs made a set of T-34-85 resin spider wheels. The model went back on the bench and the new wheels fit after drilling for larger DML suspension arms. Since the model wasn’t an OOB anymore the hull received extra details and a set of Fruil tracks. My interest shifted to the car hobby and model went back on the shelf.
In 2012 when I returned to the hobby briefly, pulled the old T-34-85 off the shelf as an easy project to complete
The build went without a hitch. Previously, I’d always force cured painted models under a very warm lamp. This allowed applying harsh lighter fluid washes directly to the paint very quickly. Out of practice, I got the light too close, five minutes later the top of the hull sagged then poured into the lower hull, literally like liquid plastic. The turret under the same light remained unharmed.
Many swear words were said at a high volume as I pitched the hull in the trash minus turret, wheels & tracks. Model went back on the shelf. I picked up a new kit for the hull but lost interest again.
In late 2019, the new hull was completed without detailing. After painting in late 2020, I noticed seams on all three fuel tanks Back to the shelf
Early 2021, the seams were patched with Mr Surfacer & repainted. Of course, the decals disappeared at some point over the last twenty some years. I foolishly picked a sheet of Peddinghaus decals due markings choice despite all the warnings about the decal film. Easily the very worst decal film I’ve worked with on a model. Thick and nearly impervious to SolvaSet. I gave up after a dozen applications of SolvaSet. Micro-Set & Micro-Sol completely a joke facing something like depleted uranium armored decal film.
One last hurdle, was four wheels sheered off of the model on the left side attaching the track. The whole suspension arm just snapped. In all likelihood, I’d overstressed them fitting the resin wheels. Four wheels reattached and one promptly snapped flush at the axle
After the model was attached to the base, I discovered two sets of original DML T-34-85 in a small box with a couple of spare parts.
This gif sums up the build experience:)