Fire for Effect!

The Trumpeter figs are less than ideal. I used the Karl set but can’t recommend them…

2 Likes

I see what you mean. They look like 60’s or 70’s moulding quality.

2 Likes

I am assuming the howitzer is lanyard fired. There is a model of the cart that was made, I have seen it but I do not know who made it. I t would be good is a shell came with the kit but I do not hold my breath. The 420mm shell is about 16.5 inches, think about the USS Missouri. It would be cool to have the Howitzer being fired and the crew ready to reload.

1 Like

I think is this one…

Made by RPM Models

1 Like

RPM:

Pics of the trolley:

4 Likes

Love the photos!!

2 Likes

The old photographs are amazing. detail on the shells with the graffiti on them is excellent.

2 Likes

More details.

Forklift Trolley For Skoda 42 cm Howitzer Gun & Ammunition, RPM 35904 (199*) (scalemates.com)

2 Likes

Super Hobby has them in stock. Pretty cheap, this link comes up in the AUD price which is less than $7 USD:
https://au.super-hobby.com/products/Ammo-cart-for-42cm-Skoda-Hovitzer.html

A few other places in Europe have them too.

2 Likes

Reynier. If you don’t know about this site, go check it out.
https://forum.axishistory.com/

You can spend a lifetime going through the pics and info there. You need to register to get search access, etc.

Cheers

Peter

2 Likes

I’ve started putting on some of the “metal” parts for the trail. There’ll be touch up paint and some filling as the holes, in some cases, were larger than the pins of the pieces. Vallejo 401 to the rescue!

I had to take the wheels out to the drill press and redrill the axle holes to fix the terrible offset molding inside. Right now they looked skewed, but that’s just the angle of the photo. Once the axle has been mounted, I’ll adjust the wheels as necessary.

Mike

4 Likes

So. I see the cart, the track, the loading tray and the rammer. How did the shell get from the cart onto the loading tray?

1 Like

Probably a small crane?

1 Like

Doing some research on the M102 prior to my build and found this US Army training video snippet. It’s brief, but it shows an early variant of the M102, with a muzzle brake, which were not on later models used in Vietnam.

This video, taken in 1966; shows the US Army’s 1st Cavalry Division engaging targets with the M102.

1 Like

You can see a truck on the right side of the picture, so; truck brings it to the front; offloads it, then it’s taken by the cart to the gun.

1 Like

The track goes around between the rammer and the breach. the cart is pushed between the breach and the rammer. Then the round is swivled around and pushed into the breach and the cart is moved prior to firing. Slick.

3 Likes

The whole top of the trolley swivelled and so did the gun loading ramp. The trolley was rolled up, the top turned to face the loading ramp, which was now turned 90 degrees to accept the round. The ramp was then turned back to face the breech:

2 Likes

As to firing, they set it off with a sledgehammer apparently:

:clown_face: :clown_face: :grin:

3 Likes

Gives the term “Dropping the Hammer” a whole new meaning.

2 Likes

Looking very nice Michael.

2 Likes