First Alpine 1/16 figure

Ok folks, last one for 2021. I’ve been wanting to try a large scale Alpine figure for a while now after the Verlinden stuff but to be honest, the price put me off. Not sure why, as I’m used to paying around the £15 mark for a 1/35 figure. £40 maybe a bit too much compared to around £25 for the Verlinden? Anyway, enough rambling, I only wish I’d bought it ages ago! The difference, well, see for yourself. It’s the SS MG42 gunner. Casting is just about perfect and clean-up took about an hour. It was an absolute joy to paint. Will I buy more? Oh yes, just got to find a way to get them past the missus……

Anyway, that’s it for this year Gents, hope you all have a great Christmas and a wonderful New Year! Try not to get too drunk or fat!
All the best lads!
G.

11 Likes

Looks great.

Does Quality vs Quantity argument help? In my case, if the output also matched with quantity and a quality little never hurts, it would probably help the case.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.

1 Like

I once read somewhere that a well made figure will paint itself. While not quite true it really helps. Verlinden figs WERE state of the art back in the day, 70’s & 80’s, the new offerings are worth the splurge.
Thanks for sharing your MG42 figure, good work ! If you ever want to check out some different well made figures check out Jeff Shiu’s offerings. While Alpine’s figures are really nice they seem to be posing for a photo. Jeff’s figures are mostly action poses.

1 Like

Fantastic work mate- the color tones you’ve gone for here are very authentic. The camo pattern is nicely observed too and the brickwork really looks dry and dusty like actual bricks!

1 Like

Hi lads, just a quick reply before the madness starts…
Ryan, quality vs quantity really doesn’t matter with my missus. Believe me, she will remember things I haven’t even done yet! Oh well, more figures = more handbags and shoes I suppose….
Tom, I still enjoy doing the Verlinden figs, even if they are outdated now. They do have their faults with accuracy etc. but, overall, the good points outweigh the bad. Especially if you get the earlier ones. The later stuff does seem to suffer more with quality issues but saying that, more modern manufacturers can have the same quality issues. Like this one:

Now, to say this is a fairly recent CAD designed figure, I can only think that the mould was at the end of it’s life. It is salvageable but, for €35, it shouldn’t happen. I have checked out the Jeff Shiu kits and they do look pretty good. Just wish they would have colour photos on the website instead of those sepia pics.
Karl, glad you like the brickwork mate, got the ideas from a couple of walls I demolished in my back garden this year :grin:. Inspiration comes from strange places……
Anyway Gents, you all have a great Christmas. It starts now!
G.

2 Likes

Just to clarify here lads, it seems I’m not the only one who got a crappy casting…

Tom, quick question about the Jeff Shiu kits. How to order? Can’t find any details on the site.
G.

You have to email him, Jeff_Shiu@hotmail.com

1 Like

Thanks Ryan, I’ll give it a try.
G.

Well, that was easy enough, another one for the campaign! Watch this space……
G.

1 Like

Absolutely great work!

1 Like

Thanks Rod, I appreciate it!
G.

Sorry Lazarus, I don’t get on the site much anymore. We bought a house a couple of months ago and there are soooo many projects to do. Currently trying to “man cave” up the basement but can’t find enough wall paneling to finish the project. Supply chain issues so they say.
Thanks Tank 182 for supplying the link for Jeff Shiu.
Lazarus, keep up the good work in 2022!

2 Likes

I know your pain, Tom! I’ve been doing ‘projects’ now for the past 15 years and still no end in sight……Hope you get the man cave finished soon though. You can get out of the way then😁. Going to concentrate on the figure campaign in 2022. Hope to see you there, mate!
G.

1 Like

Very nice!!!

1 Like