First dio in progress

Decided to attempt my first all from scratch diorama.

Figures are next along w finishing the two 1/2 tracks. Let me know what you guys think so far, I’d put it roughly at 50% done.

16 Likes

The basics seem ok to me, but what is the story you try to tell?

1 Like

It’s a bit of a salvage operation with crashed one being stripped down. With all the detail parts and figures I think it’ll translate at the end.

You have an extensive kit collection🤪 How many unbuilt kits do you have?

2 Likes

Keep er going, looks ok from here.

1 Like

Nice work & look forward to more.

Love the tree bending over.

Hate to give advice but perhaps rearrange the clumps of 3 darker grasses. They are in a distinct line. Perhaps clumps some together but off line, higgledy-piggledy. Great expression

For a first or even 20th diorama damn fine work… Like that you have put the terrain on a slant.

Great work with the tyre tracks & mud track area…

Laurie

2 Likes

Maybe 80 kits and a bunch of figures and add on sets for future projects. Decided to stock up on Tamiya figures cause they are from my
LHS and a good way to practice before I invest in more expensive figures. The 3 stacks are from the floor to that shelf and the end of the desk that’s hidden had some 1/48th Tamiya kits stashed. Don’t drink anymore so fun money goes to stocking up in case times get tough, lol.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. I hadn’t noticed the clumps until you pointed it out then I was like “that’s pretty obvious”. I’ll add some more plus I have some hemp rope that I plan to unravel to make taller clumps of weeds. The shed is scratch built from balsa and the roof tiles were cut individually and glued in clumps to be a bit more random over the course of a few evenings. The tree is a chunk of sage brush tumble weed w flocking and moss glued on using spray adhesive. Learned it’s not the best method but first try. Airbrushed mostly with trunk being hand painted. I used insulting foam in layers then covered that w Woodland Scenics plaster, painted various browns and greens first by brush then airbrushed. The grass is Woodland Scenics static grass laidvover dusted white glue with minor airbrushing from far off to break it up. I’ve got some clear resin stuff for water that I’ll add to the muddy areas for a wet look and everything in the end will get an airbrush dusting to do a final blend.

I’m debating about something to fill that hilltop. I’ve got an Opal Blitz I planned to use but I realize it clutter it to much. I have some barrels and other odd stuff for the shed and an old hood off a German truck, maybe that’ll end up on the hilltop in a clump of weeds just to break it up a bit. Stil a ways to go but feel like I’m tracking pretty good for future attempts. Much more fun than tanks lined up on a shelf.

4 Likes

What did it say to you?

Oh, and do not add anything on the hill. It will draw the attention away from the main story…

3 Likes

Agree nothing on the hill golikell. But would be tempted with a sole soldier rifle at the ready staring at the devastation. Soldier legs planted sturdily

But Montana it is your diorama. Beauty of model making you are re-born free, as the air, to do what you want how you want…

Laurie

2 Likes

It’s looking great Chris, would never have guessed that it was your first diorama had you not mentioned it, one to be proud of, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

G, :beer:

3 Likes

Very very nice start!

I agree, nothing big on the hill top, unless one or two Germans checking out what they will be destroying…

I just think few points to think about… they are lined up to fire in different directions… one of them looks like it will be firing through the tree branches … if this is de final position for the vehicles you might want to adjust the tire tracks in the ground…

But that’s what I would look at, this is your dio, your world, you decide :+1:

3 Likes

Montana. Perhaps a very pretty nurse at the scene ? :heart_eyes:

Laurie.

2 Likes

A lone soldier looking at the scene below might indeed enhance the scene…

2 Likes

I get what you are pointing out. What it’ll end up being is the one in shed is wrecked, the other one has been taking things of vale from the reck. The figures and added details/pieces I have in mind should hopefully paint the picture.

2 Likes