French R35 light tank 1/35th scale by Hobby Boss

This is the first R35 I’ve ever made, in fact it’s the first french tank I’ve ever made. I may include it in a Battle for France Diorama with German Infantry using it for Cover, that way I can have the hatches all open, including those at the rear of the engine compartment, as though the crew failed to get it re-started before Gerry turned up and they had to scarper.
box artwork
the point that this has interior detail is a plus for my plan, the hatches all flung open in a moment of pure frustration by the absent crew, I’m sure there are French tank crew figures out there, but the only one’s in my stash are wearing Great War uniforms.
crew figures
so it’s a good chance to use these, typical of masterbox figure kits, they suggest diorama ideas all by themselves.
german infantry box art

3 Likes

I say, may, use in a Diorama, It’s also my first Hobby Boss kit build, so I’ll see how it looks after it’s assembled OOB before I commit to a diorama. I read in Blood, tears and Folly by Len Deighton, that a fair number of French Armour was lost by Mechanical breakdown. So that fits with my Germans using an abandoned R35 for Cover as they advance.

opening moves, the Engine is made up from very small parts in very high numbers, the instructions are a bit vague here showing generally where the parts fit.
engine assembly
GEAR LEVER
it’s good, I love to make and include interior details. I particularly like depicting the crew stations inside the vehicle, where they worked, ate and often slept.
painted engine a
with the base colours on the engine, the gearbox is dark green.

2 Likes

next up, the suspension main bogies
parts
there are 14 parts per bogie, including, oddly, four PE plates per bogie station, these need to be bent to the right curve so they fit within the Bogie and allow the outer plate to fit flush.
open unit one side

2 Likes

as you probably notice, the wheels are “sided” and the right wheel had to be removed and rotated before the top went on.
instructions b

1 Like

it’s always nice to get a bit of information off You tube, I find this chap really informative.

3 Likes

Looking good. Interested to see how it turns out.

1 Like

I really like all the vehicles from the great war and from the interval between the 2 world wars, and the French camos are always a nice challenge

1 Like

that’s the four main bogies made up, not without a little frustration, breaks for a cup of tea before sitting back down becalmed and ready to go again.
assembled bogies
the four suspension bogies attached to the hull
first two attached to hull

1 Like

The link and length tracks instructions, the lengths for the straight portions of the track and the individual links for the tight curves around the sprocket and TA wheels.
track diagram
fitting them in fits and starts to allow the links to dry in place before moving on with the next stage.
track a

2 Likes

leaving the next length leaning against a angled surface, adjustments to be made as it start to dry to tighten the joins.
track b
using masking tape to hold the curve and close up the gaps
track e masking tape
the masking tape applied around the track links keeping them tight against the TA wheel.
track f masking tape

3 Likes

me too, It’s the first one of their kits I’ve put together, so far so good.

I couldn’t agree more.
6 years of war, the startling developments in technology between 39 and 45 can only really be appreciated by looking at vehicles and equipment from start to finish.

1 Like

To think that in '39 there were still tanks of the Renault FT-17 family on active duty around Europe and at the end of the war they were running King Tigers and Panthers equipped with the first devices for night vision…

1 Like

I’m showing this slightly out of order, the interior components shown here ready to go in, engine fuel tank and cooling fan.
the interior fitted prior to the track work.

gearbox space
![gearbox space|600x372]

tracks primered a
tracks primered

1 Like

I took this shot before the hull outside was painted, viewing the interior through the front hatch before the drivers seat and hull floor hatch was fitted.
engine through the front hatch

2 Likes

the drivers hatch details are fitted.drivers hatch
it’s let down by some visible ejector pin marks that will need filling.

the drivers seat is part pe. the seat base frame is brass.

drivers hatch ko marks
you can see the pin marks clearly in this shot

2 Likes

the upper hull and turret in primer

hull and turret primer b

1 Like

with the hull sealed up, the whole model is ready for a base coat of dark green.
assembly completed a

a wet coat of base green.
![coat of wet green c|600x337]
the back hatches left open by the crew as they abandoned the vehicle.

(upload://gTrZv1KUBd7e4eG52VSLejjrEvu.jpeg)
coat of wet green d