French Use Model T Ford

Did France adopt the Ford Model T in its own military? I assume it not unlikely, as French industry at the time was certainly stretched to the limits, and it was building the most tanks in that era.

I know they used the ambulance version. It was painted a blue-ish/gray color, with Tricolor and other French insignia. Frenchie should be able to provide a more detailed answer.
:smiley:

I was thinking of the fact that plenty of French troops were used in the postwar occupation of Germany, as well as the fact that France had so many leftover American vehicles still in use after WW2, so why not WW1? I cannot imagine the USA wanting all those worn-out Model T Fords back.

Like Biggles50 said, the French army used the ambulance version. They received about 11,000 Ford T’s between 1916 and 1919. But you can find Ford T sedans in French military hands like this one :

http://albindenis.free.fr/Site_escadrille/Photos2/524_Ballade_Tenedos1.jpg

http://albindenis.free.fr/Site_escadrille/Photos2/524_Gal_Bailloud_visite.jpg

It belonged to the Escadrille MF 98 T during the Gallipoli campaign in 1915

H.P.

3 Likes

What! No color photographs? :grinning:

Ironically, most of ICM’s Model T Fords are ANZAC vehicles…though they may put the other versions out in the future. Wonder if we can ever see any softskins from France, Germany, or other nations sooner or later?

Two more :

I’ve read that most of these sedans were used by artillery and tank units.

H.P.

2 Likes

H.P.

2 Likes

I realize tires transitioned to black around this time so I wonder if those in the last (very crisp) photo are:

• just dirty?
  • worn on the sidewalls?
  • appear as manufactured… showing the process had yet to be perfected?

My guess is the third option listed.

To me it looks like a heavy coating of long dried mud/dust on the tires, spokes, hubs, rear fender/body, side tool box… and then driven through fresh/wet mud

I think it looks as if everything on the chassis, wheels, fender undersides et.c. is covered in dried mud and then it has been driven over wet ground, wet grass, through a puddle or something. This could turn the mud dark or wash it off.
The “wet” or dark area on the rear wheel is almost in contact with the ground.

I agree with Ken and Robin. On a side note, this picture has been taken in 1918.

H.P.

1 Like