Fun with a time machine

In that vein, I would take an Virginia class submarine. Could have taken many targets from many countries across the globe and unless there was that lucky shot no one would be able to find to attack.

1 Like

I don’t think I’d take any military hardware. I’ve seen enough Star Trek to know the damage that meddling in the past can cause. And besides, with any kind of firearm I think I would probably be more hazard to myself than anyone else!

I’d simply take a camera and a load of SD cards and charged batteries. For reference purposes you understand.

5 Likes

The tactical aspect changed a bit, bringing carriers to the forefront sooner than a natural progression of tactics would have. But the USN essentially fought the Central Pacific campaign according to pre war “War Plan Orange”- an island hopping campaign to Japan. Not to mention that the Essex Class carriers and the new fast battleships were already being built when Pearl Harbor was attacked and the Pacific Fleet’s old battleship line damaged or sunk.

And regarding rebuilding a city after firebombing annihilation compared to nuclear annihilation, Hiroshima and Nagasaki do appear to have been rebuilt quickly enough. Mind you that those were both airburst attacks and any A-Bomb or H-Bomb attacks to take out Hitler & Co. would be more likely to achieve their desired results with a delayed ground burst to destroy any bunkers they would be occupying. And a final note in that equation, the prime consideration should be a successful strike, not a rebuild after the fact.

Post-war considerations were being made before the war ended so
rebuilding MIGHT have been considered.
Lucky for Europe that the Bomb wasn’t ready before the war in Europe ended.

The original plan in France was to bypass Paris but fears of a commie-led liberation of the city changed the plans so that Free French troops were made available to liberate Paris.
This was done to prevent commies from “digging in” in Paris and be able to influence the
politics of post-war France (they gained a lot of influence anyways but it could have been worse)

I’d rather go back in time, buy all the stuff I passed on, bring it back to current time and sell it all.

4 Likes

or go back and bet on all the winning horses, football games, hockey games and all the correct lottery numbers …
:grin: :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:

2 Likes

Biff already did that.

3 Likes

Just use one of 3 banks of super laser… Job done … Precision strike then land a few legions of Storm troopers to mop up :grin:

1 Like

Talk about collateral damage, they can’t seem to hit what they are aiming at.

5 Likes
6 Likes

A few history books.

For those doubting my A10 choice remember I said I was taking a good supply of things that went bang. I’m assuming a ground crew as well. Most things could be fixed with a bit of fencing wire! Night vision wouldn’t need gps etc. Basically a modern mosquito.

All the posts about the Marshall plan etc would be changed because I would change the out come of the war. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Now for the real fantasy. If Ronald Regan’s space plan had worked then a few zaps with my laser would fix a few problems before the enemy had time to say ‘bugger’.

Well. Special fuels, special ordinance means limited effectiveness on a grand scale like Europe. Once they figure you have to land, they just follow and strafe like we did to the Me163/262.
here is what you need.

1 Like

TopSmith it’s back to the past not back to the future. Or is that forward to the future? Anyway the Triffids are coming so then what?

Those were the Martians in their tripod war machines.

The Triffids were mobile plants with a poisonous stinger they could whip at a target.

Yes Robin. I know what triffids were.

I though you wrote Triffids about TopSmiths post

While the Storm trooper helmets are pretty cool, they are bloody awful to wear, and try to aim a weapon while wearing one - an up hill battle.
I’m pretty sure the accuracy lack is mostly due to the helmet, the script just collaborates.

Mal

Yes Robin I was but I threw in the triffids as another enemy to consider!!

I see! :grin:
What about the Nazis from the dark side of the Moon?

1 Like