German RSO/01

Hi, looking for some info about the RSO/01. I am keen to build one soon in 1:35 scale. From what I can see from various reviews the Dragon kit 6691 might be the best currently available (the new Das-Werk is simply a rebox?).

Curiously the Dragon kit is advertised on HobbyEasy as “coming soon” with a release date of April 2022?, as below. Seems a bit odd?

RSO

In my mind I would love to make a little diorama with one of these vehicles re-supplying a Sturmtiger… but is this plausible… what was the RSO/01 primarily used for? moving people? would it ever be used in a role of re-supplying AFV’s? and would there be any theatre in which it would be plausible that an RSO/01 would be seen resupplying a Sturmtiger?

Thanks in advance.

From what I have read, Dragon kit has some dimensional issues and the Italeri one is better -but the details is not so good.

Das Werk has re issued Dragon’s kit with different markings, not sure if there are more differences.

It was used as an artillery tractor and also for moving supplies, maybe it could have served a Sturmtiger but I would say no.

1 Like

I have read about the rear deck sizing issues with Dragon, but am wondering if it may be possible to scratch/correct the issue? (read about it on this forum no less!).

Thx.

There is a topic on ML concerning the new Das Werk offering and the main issues sounded there are that Dragon’s driver cab is too small while the loadbed- too big.
One can rework the load bed, reducing it in size, but “expanding” the driver cab is simply impossible…

HTH,
Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

Doesn’t sound promising :cry:. What’s ML may I ask?

Here is the thread:

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

Hmm, usage. That’s always a poser with German vehicles. The RSO is a dry-pin track system like a tank, this precludes high speeds as opposed to the “Cletrac” system used on the earlier German half-tracks (Sdkfz 10, 7 etc). The earlier vehicles were specifically built to be able to keep up with the mechanised formations such as Panzer Divisions. The RSO was built for use by Infanterie Divisions, it’s too slow for armoured troops. However never say never for WW2 German equipment, as I have discovered that 9SS PD, which shouldn’t have had any on establishment DID in fact have a few. If a unit was in a stationary position, the speed of the supply vehicle would be irrelevant, so if you want an RSO and a Sturmtiger together, go for it!

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up, and also for the link to the ML thread. Angel @ayovtshev , I have followed some of your builds… very very impressive, and from seeing what you can do, perhaps I can ask your opinion… if you yourself wanted to build a reasonably accurate RSO/01 how would you go about it? i.e. which kit would you pick as a starting point to give you the easiest path to making a reasonably accurate end result? Any advise appreciated! Thanks, Dave.

Thanks for your kind words, David!

I haven’t build an RSO yet, but I bought the Italeri offering several years ago and was lucky enough to buy one of the last Spade Ace’s RSO track sets at HobbyEasy(Italeri’s tracks are vinyl and belong to the trash bin).

When DW announced their RSO I was quite enthusiastic, but reading around- incl. the ML topic I shared- made me reconsider and I took the kit off my wish list…

So I’ll stay with the old Italeri kit and will undertake any feasible modification to build it into an accurate Bulgarian WWII vehicle.

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

As for tracks, I think it is worth to consider Minor workable, assembled tracks:

Available directly from them here

1 Like