Gestapo license plates

It’s Friday
Australian Summertime
It’s late Friday evening Down Under
Beverages promoting creative thinking may well have been consumed, possibly in conjunction with a barbeque …

God - a barbecue; perchance to dream! It’s a dreary, dismal damp November day here in not so sunny Wiltshire.

Ideal for a modelling session at the bench but…

Oh well, I’ve also to press a suit, polish my shoes and medals ready for Sunday - which is nearly always followed by drinking my own bodyweight in beer; a tough job but someone’s got to do it.

2 Likes

A man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do …

The sun is actually shing around here today, still the middle of November though

Sun? Shining? Bloody hell.

(I feel a bit sorry for Timothy - I’m not too sure we’re helping his original request!)

I thought we did?
SD (the organisational unit directly above Gestapo) could use Pol plates
In Germany the Gestapo used the local police plates (see my post about Stuttgart)
For an occupied country I would choose between Pol or SD,
if Tim wants to play it 100% safe he could go for Gestapo in Stuttgart and use III A [number]

Still many hours to go before wine is appropriate so I have time to add many pound of wall putty to the walls in the upstairs hallway and some cement based putty to a constructionally motivated V-shaped groove in the ceiling

“Shing”? What are you on? Actually there’s a howling gale outside & flooding north of Sydney & elsewhere so the shrimps would have got blown from here to Tuesday if I’d fired up the barbie. My first-namesake (that makes 6 or 7 of us now, this is getting serious!) also originally asked about the colour of Postage er Gestapo cars…I got nothing, except I like the idea of “sinister black”. I need to have a little lie-down now :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :tumbler_glass:

Dear Lord Almighty, thereis a horrible typo in one of my previous posts.
I will never escape this shame :innocent:

Oops. Totally forgot about the paint question.
Hard to tell from B&W photos though …

1 Like

Actually, you’re right; we did, or as best we could.

No problem with the replies going tangential. Always glad to promote comradery. The BBQ idea sounds mighty good. Getting to be dinner time, and we have a pretty good chain BBQ place here, in town. (if REAL desperate, McDonalds has the McRib back. :face_vomiting: ) By the by, Reno/Sparks has a world class rib cook off every year at the end of May. “Best of the West Rib Cook Off”. Good excuse for a vacation! Now, back to our regularly scheduled post… … Interesting bit about the Stuttgart police using the IIIA plates. Any clue what time frame? As I understood it when Himmler took over such things in 36(?) all police, fire, air raid … what we today call “emergency services” fell under “police” and had POL plates. Using civilian plates is a wise idea … nothing like a plain sedan with govt. plates on it to scream “COP!!!”. ( Back in the day the Ford Crown Victoria was THE cop car. Detectives and the likes used solid color ones , with spot lights and an antennae farm on the roof. Totally stealthy … not! One of the local police depts would get under cover cars from a local company called “Rent a Wreck” … Toyotas, Buicks, VWs. Had civilian plates , discreet radio antennae … Go crusin’ through the hood, nobody know they the Popo… ) As for colors, I know most of the “drafted” cars , both in Germany and the occupied areas, were painted over Dunkelgrau or Dunkelgelb with camo. (some with civilian plates with WH or WL on the fenders ) But most seem to be military or Todt Org., or the likes. O.K., I’m off to Dickie’s for some pulled pork, beef brisket, and onion straws! (thanks for the idea , guys.)

Enjoy, sounds like that would go nicely with a glass of red! Apologies for going off piste on your thread & thanks for your indulgence. Having slept on it I’d suggest grau’s more likely, assuming the vehicle wasn’t in a war zone and/or is being depicted prior to early 1943. I know the box art here is a Luftwaffe version…

…but the decal sheet does provide a plate “IE – 88288” – alas I’ve lost the Instructions so not sure what that designation means, maybe it’s Police if not Gestapo? :cut_of_meat: :wine_glass:

IE, if memory serves, is a civilian plate. Berlin? The roman number was region, letter was the city. There was a website that had the history of German plates, pre war, war time, occupation, BRD/ DDR, reunification… damnd if I can find it now.

Not what I wanted, but … License Plates of Germany Before 1945 (worldlicenseplates.com)

1930 ERA GERMAN LICENSE PLATE

The first German license plates that had a lettering plan were issued from 1906 onwards. Berlin for example was using I A (I for Prussia), Munich II A (II for Bavaria), Stuttgart III A (III for Württemberg). Other German states used further Roman numbers such as IV (Baden), V (Hesse), and VI (Alsace-Lorraine; now France.

All of these services came under Himmlers jurisdiction but the secret side and the “public” side were two branches of Himmlers organisation.

" On 20 April 1934 Hermann Göring handed over control of the Geheime Staatspolizei (Gestapo) to Himmler. Heydrich, named chief of the Gestapo by Himmler on 22 April 1934, also continued as head of the SD.[14] These events further extended Himmler’s control of the security mechanism of the Reich, which by proxy also strengthened the surveillance power of Heydrich’s SD, as both entities methodically infiltrated every police agency in Germany.[15] Subsequently, the SD was made the sole “party information service” on 9 June 1934.["

Then came Night of the Long Knives - Wikiwand

" In 1936, the police were divided into the Ordnungspolizei (Orpo or Order Police) and the Sicherheitspolizei (SiPo or Security Police).[56] The Orpo consisted mainly of the Schutzpolizei (Urban police), the Gendarmerie (Rural police) and the Gemeindepolizei (Municipal police). The SiPo was composed of the Kripo and the Gestapo. Heydrich became Chief of the SiPo and continued as Chief of the SD.[57]"

" On 27 September 1939, the SiPo became a part of the RSHA under Heydrich.[64] The operational sections of the SD became (department) Amt III and for foreign intelligence, Amt VI; the Gestapo became Amt IV and the Kripo became Amt V. Otto Ohlendorf was named the Chief of Amt III, the SD-Inland (within Germany); Heinrich Müller was named the Chief of Amt IV, the Gestapo; Arthur Nebe was named the Chief of Amt V, the Kripo; and Walter Schellenberg became Chief of Amt VI, the SD-Ausland (outside Germany). In 1944, the sections of the Abwehr were incorporated into Amt VI.[65][2]"

Read the whole history here:

Hard to tell the players WITH the score card. Related question: Orpo vehicles? Dunkelgrau? SS/Polizei green? Have the AK 756 paint. Understanding it was used for rear area units, Orpo, and Feurwehr. Was there a time frame for use or was it dependent on AO?

I haven’t got any solid answers …
This page is about one vehicle:
https://www.feuerwehr-brilon.de/?page_id=463

It was delivered in 1943 painted dunkelgrau (Luftwaffengrau, RAL 7021) and repainted after the war in “dunkelgrün (Tannengrün, entsprechend der Feuerschutzpolizei)” (fir green).
The page also contains this image

Re-enactors showing what a fire fighting squad looked like in 1936.
Maybe they went fir green when the fire brigades became a part of the police???

No clues on the regular police though …