Go waaaay back! 1909 Hupmobile is done!

One of the fun parts of modelling is picking a subject that’s a bit different, or outside your comfort zone. Sure, it’s always fun to build a subject you know lots about, but building something unusual usually leads one to finding out a lot of interesting history and information about the subject. Thus, the experience is both informative and enjoyable, and who knows, maybe it even gives you a chance to acquire some new tricks!

For me, that’s exactly what happened when I build the old Hawk (nee Kaysun) 1909 Hupmobile that my friend Alan sent me by mail. I have always liked brass-era cars, but never had the chance to build one. Well, that has now been rectified, and I have to say, it was a scream!

I learned a tonne about early automotive history and even connected with some people I’d have never crossed paths with if I hadn’t had this kit to work on. It was a kit that my uncle and I were both excited about, although it’s a shame he passed away before he got to see it completed.

So, if you want to see something just a bit out of the ordinary, check out my Hupmobile at the link below; who knows, maybe you’ll find out something new too!

2 Likes

That’s a great build Adam of what looks like a kit that needed a lot of attention.

cheers
Michael

Thanks Michael!

It wasn’t a terrible kit, especially for it’s age, but I do find most car kits benefit from some TLC. :slight_smile: Gotta say, figuring out the Brass thing was interesting, and I’m excited to try my hand at another Brass-Era subject sometime!

1 Like

Sticking with the sporty theme:

You can also get it with a lady driver under instruction and her gentleman friend, or the pair separately if you fancy a different kit.

Regards,

M

Adam,
Just read through your entire build and history blog. I’d say you did one heck of job as the finished model looks fantastic. I always appreciate it when any builder includes the history of the car being modeled as it adds just a little more to the over all build.

joel

Great article Adam, plenty of really useful tips as well as a wonderful history lesson for us!

The Hupmobile turned out very nicely, you might have just taken the trophy for the oldest car to be replicated here on AutoModeler! I certainly don’t recall seeing a build of anything pre-1909.

Cheers, D

Hey D,
I didn’t know that we had a trophy earliest replicated model :laughing:

joel