Gomer Pyle, U. S. M. C

I bet he had great peripheral vision.

I suppose what made many old TV shows work was the performances. The perfect interaction between Colonel Klink and Colonel Hogan, for example. And I got the books on Monty Python’s Flying Circus: All The Words. It was funny seeing them performed, but reading the scripts, the routines weren’t as funny as all that.

1 Like

I’m fairly sure Klink was Luftwaffe.

No ones mentioned MASH yet - ok no a comedy per se, but many co-medic moments…

Mal

2 Likes

Aw now you’ve done it, one mention of JAG and…

…and we watched that only for the depiction of the military court system right? :tumbler_glass:

5 Likes

Yes. Stalag 13 was referred to as a luft stalag.

Gomer Pyle… we had that in the Netherlands too… but very very different…

1 Like

For the record, various French people have said that they don’t find the late Jerry Lewis particularly funny, despite the joke. Woody Allen is popular now, but I cannot help but think the story and dialogue would be very different in the French versions of his movies. There are elements in American entertainment that would be offensive or simply make no sense in other places.

Frank Sutton was rejected by the Marine Corps, but was accepted by the Army and turned out to be a badass during WWII.
Two things to do for anyone visiting or stuck at Ft. Campbell: See the “Sergeant Carter” statue in Clarksville, Sutton’s birthplace, and sing Johnny Cash at the Dark Horse Saloon, also in Clarksville. Womens’ panties literally fall off.

1 Like

And I thought that was strictly a Tom Jones tradition.

Make that two Vietnam Veterans , but not because of the Marine backgound. Because I dont find Gomers stupidity funny lol .

1 Like

Oh I did dream of genie !

1 Like

It can be unfunny when somebody is TOO stupid. But even Gomer Pyle was clever enough to use “Private Skunk” as a way to punish Sergeant Whipple for causing trouble for his unit.

Maybe it was gomer on Andy Griffith that turned me off to Gomer . As far as being offended I dont get offended I just change the channel.lol

Robert Clary was actually in a concentration camp and John Banner fled Austria when Hitler annexed it.

1 Like

Worse than that, Clary lost most of his relatives.

1 Like