Gulf War 30th Anniversary Campaign

Thanks Gino :+1:

This is my venture into this group build. There’s the option to build it as HMS Jupiter

Big chunks of resin

and a photoetch fret to scare anyone

Capture

5 Likes

Yes! Lovely to see a ship represented. You should do a full build thread over on Modelshipwrights :slight_smile:

Already started mine so couldn’t join this…

7 Likes

Gathered some Gulf War stuff up…

Initially thought I’d build an Egyptian M113 with the Tamiya aftermarket decals but I’m thinking now I’ll go with the US version.

5 Likes

Got some nice goodies there Sherb. Should look right on the money :+1:

Colin, that etch fret has stuff you will only see with a microscope…‘You are a better man than me, Colin Din…’

1 Like

@Sherb I’m interested in that “Ground War Desert Storm” book, does it have any pictures of the M551 Sheridan in it?

I got a quick question, are the landing gear bays on the Tornado white or light grey?

@michaelsatin Id love to see that Jaguar built… :wink:

@Panzer_modeler when I built one years ago I painted mine white if that helps.

Thanks David!

I have bionic eyes :rofl:
i have to try my best, it was my last ship in the mob, so have to do her justice

Capture

I haven’t got that book David, but you might find some you have not seen here:

5 Likes

@Klaus-Adler
There are four pics of M551s, three of which are in color. For better our worse, I’ve seen most if not all of them republished on the web…two of them are in the post above.

1 Like

There seems to be more stowage on these turrets than on an Abrams which has a turret twice the size!

1 Like

@petbat those M551’s look well weather worn, is that the base olive drab paint coming through the desert yellow?

Probably. Most vehicles were quickly repainted in Saudi Arabia when they arrived. The paint used was a locally bought, low quality paint that was sprayed on in an assembly line fashion to get them out to the troops quickly. The paint didn’t hold up well and pealed in short time, leaving a splotchy look that showed the CARC underneath. Additionally, most (if not all) the M551 were 3-tone NATO camo CARC under the sand.

1 Like

@Armorsmith as Grandma with the very sharp teeth said, “All the better to hide the build flaws my dear…”

@Klaus-Adler Looks like you are going to have to CARC it first for this build David… just don’t cark it along the way…

Okay, finally decided what I am going to do. A bit of self flagellation in styrene and resin. Chieftain ARRV (Armoured Recovery and Repair Vehicle) Accurate Armour and Tamiya Chieftain as base kit as called for by AA

This is a second hand kit, so I hope all the bits are there. I also worked out why the guy sold it. Poorly homogenised resin in places, broken bits and lots of air holes and poor castings. He must have started filling holes, then gave up …

Front hull poor resin mix. I hope this does not bleed. Some breaks here too:

Swiss cheese:

Poor casting:

Banana effect:

Bad etch. This was in a sealed packet, so clearly a factory botch, not the other owner…

4 Likes

I would put all your other stuff on the shelf now Peter … that is going to be a lot of work to remedy those issues… and there are lots of them … is it even salvageable ?

1 Like