Help with knocked out Panther

I am building a knocked-out Panther in the Great Ones campaign. I am using Tamiya’s Panther A. I am trying to figure out what to do about the various periscopes in the cupola and drivers’ station. I have looked at many knocked out Panthers and photo evidence of the periscopes is in short supply. I do not know if the periscopes tend to drop down when the vehicle burns, or the periscopes are normally stored away or what. Common since says the periscopes are installed and are still in place when the vehicle is destroyed. Helpful observations would be appriciated.

1 Like

Seems they could be raised or lowered according to situation:

I guess that for better protection they were lowered while in a direct combat situation

1 Like

If it helps, the cases for the German periscopes were mostly made of molded Bakelite, so a hot fire would certainly destroy them. As I understand it, Bakelite also burns rather than melts.

As an aside, the colors of the Bakelite seem to vary from reddish brown to black.

16le2ol

3 Likes

The periscopes don’t actually lower or raise. The mechanisms are simply the brackets or fixtures that hold the periscope units in place. It’s a “quick-change” type device and spares were carried in the tank (at various crew stations), so damaged periscopes could be replaced from inside the tank will remaining buttoned-up.

1 Like

That would account for the difficulty finding evidence of them in burned out tank photos.

2 Likes

I’d think optics that could be recovered or salvaged were some of the first parts scavenged too. Don’t hold me to it but in Panzer Aces 1 or 2 I can swear that one of the stories was about a gunners recollections and he talked about being issued one of his optics and carrying that one with him for his entire tour(s). Much like an infantryman’s rifle, I walked away with the distinct impression if he was bailing out of a damaged tank it was going to go with him come hell or high water.

2 Likes