Help with M49 pump compartment

While detailing my AFV Club M49 I’ve already created operable door hinges, but am stuck as for the “door stoppers” of the pump compartment, see drawing from TM 9-2320-361-10:

What do they look like - can anybody help?
TIA, Peter

Different pump unit, same doors


1 Like

In America, we have the Library of Congress. They keep copies of every published book, and their research facilities are incredible. In Armorama, we have Frenchy. He keeps copies of every published photograph of military equipment, and his research faculties are incredible.


Thanks Lee, but I just try to make the best of Google image search :wink:


1 Like

Thank you very much, Henri Pierre, especially that last pic you found gives at least a vague idea of what the parts mounted to the door frame in the shadow might look like; I think I can guesstimate a working representation. I’ll keep everybody informed here once I have a result.

Nice pics. Keep us posted about your build. I built one a long time ago (1994-ish), then rebuilt it a few years ago.

Here is the rebuild.
M49A2 Fueler Rebuild

Here’s a TM view of the compartment door holder :


1 Like

Hmmm… Don’t know yet what to make of that drawing, let alone how to replicate it movably - good exercise for an aging brain!

For those who wonder why I go to all that trouble, here are a few pics of what will be hiding behind those movable doors:

The hinges are Evergreen tubing, stretched over a wire core that doubles as hinge pin.

Vodnik (Vodnik's M49A2C review) noted that part C48 shouldn’t lead into the tank, so I corrected that.
C22 shouldn’t just stand there, but be connected to C47 above it, while ground wire spool C31 could do with some detailing, and the valve control levers needed connections to the tanks:

These photos show that painting’s not what I’m best at, but I think that from a distance, it all won’t look too bad once the door holders will be in place!

Comments and suggestions (especially for the door holders!) welcome.


I’m sorry to trouble you again, Henri Pierre - but by no stretch of my imagination can I make that contraption in the TM illustration resemble the things that can be seen in the M49 pump compartment photos:
Mainly, parts numbered 6 and 7 appear to be joined movably, whereas the similar parts in the photos are obviously connected rigidly. Besides, the “tube(?)” that photographed ‘part 7’ seems to be sliding into seems to be mounted to the side of a much bigger thing than the little “cube” in the drawing. And the way I could imagine the whole affair to work, this bigger thing must rotate - which the thing in the drawing wouldn’t allow.
Or have I finally gone totally nuts?

In desperation, I turned to another detail of the model, the windscreen.

Acetate panes are held in place with thin sheet frames that sport wiper motors, pushout arresters and locking levers.

And the compressed air lines to the wipers are from stretched vinyl sprue.

That’s it for the time being, I’ll be away until after mid-april to rest my eyes (and brain).


I guess the (not to scale) drawing could show an earlier setup…Of course now I can’t seem to find the TM it comes from again !

Here’s another one

overall view

My take on the drawing in my previous post (I use the same part numbers)


Thank you very much, Henri Pierre! I sincerely hope that these new informations will get me where I want - but as mentioned, I won’t be able to work on the problem until late april.
Merci beaucoup,

I’ve finally constructed “my” working door stoppers:
First, I cemented thin sheet of roughly the triangular shape that the illustrations show over the upper outside corners of the doors. To these, narrow “U”-shaped pieces of sheet aluminum were cemented, with holes in top and bottom. The rods are 0.5mm Evergreen, with pieces of thin styrene sheet plus stretched styrene tubing at one end. The necessary hinge pins for these two parts are from stretched sprue with molten and then flat-filed ends. The guide tubes for the rods are, again, stretched styrene tubing - of 1mm dia., drilled out to a bore of 0.5mm. They are cemented to rings of 2.5mm tubing that are held on 2mm rod by a slice of 2.5mm dia. styrene sheet. The rods were then cemented to the inside of the “lintel” on some spacers of scrap plastic.

Here’s one, provisionally mounted - I’m still not sure whether this is a true copy of the prototype, but I think it sufficiently looks the part. Comments very welcome.