Help with using the "Create" link on the homepage

Hi all,

I was trying to use the “Create” link on the homepage, but when i click on it, it takes me to a log-in page. I am not using Facebook or any other social media to log in; this particular log-in screen has a place for my e-mail & password. However, it rejected my credentials. So I’m wondering, how can I get to the “Create” page without using some other credentials? I can click on the “forums” link, and I can use my user name & password there to get logged in, but then I don’t see a “create” function.

Of course, maybe I’m not using the “create” link correctly - what I wanted to do, was create a “walk around” feature of an autocrane I took some pictures of a while back. Is the walk-around feature still available?

I just saw in the right-hand pane that this question should probably be posted in “General Discussions” so apologies for putting this question in this category. Some times it’s hard to determine where stuff should go.

Thanks!

Tim

Hi Tim,
All this change is confusing I am sure. Since all these sites are on different servers, with different URLs and databases, there is no unified login as we had on the old network. It’s a bit of a disjointed network in that regard. However only users that want to contribute content will need multiple logins/accounts. And if you opt to use your social login like FB then in that scenario you would have one login, etc.

Here is the bit of small print you probably passed over on that pop-up screen:

So yes you will need a different set of login credentials (although technically you could probably use the same username/password on both accounts if you want to) for any of the content sites.

If you run into any other issues setting one up please let me know.

Best wishes,
Jim

thanks for the info, Jim. I guess maybe I’ll just log into the forums, then create a forum post in the vehicles forum with all my pics.

Yes, things are a bit confusing. I (finally) figured out one thing I don’t like about forums posts, and that is the way dates & times are displayed. I really liked the format on the old site!

Thanks again for all your efforts and time to improve the site.

Tim

Which time/date info do you mean. The 3h indicator (for this post was 3 hours ago) or the actual dates on the side bar? Also make sure you have set your timezone in your profile because i am guessing without that set (just like on our old forums) the dates and times will default to London GMT (where this server is based).

And yes of course you can opt to post here on the forums. Hopefully some people will still submit content to the content sites or I have gone through a lot of work to basically see this whole thing fall into ruin :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Jim

Hi Jim!

Sorry I didn’t reply sooner, but this little issue is really a low priority, so I wasn’t in a hurry to respond.

So, about the date/time thing - it’s not about the actual time zone, it’s the way the slider bar initially shows the date - for instance, you reply to me is simply dated 3 Dec, and at the bottom of the slider it says “4d ago”. It’s a bit…well, not confusing, but maybe I would say it just seems to add some clutter. However, I was looking at some other posts, and I found that by hovering the cursor over the date, a box opens up that shows the date & time of the post. Problem solved!! :+1:

As for posting content via the forums - yeah, the fact that I can post to other forums without actually having to go through the content sites, it seems to be a bit self-defeating from a design point of view. I wonder how many people are aware of this work-around? Myself, I’ll gladly make use of it!! :grinning:

Thanks again for all your dedication to re-writing the code for all these sites!

Cheers,

Tim

Lol… well for the sake of all the sites including the forum I hope people don’t all take that approach. Of course if you do post something in the forums staff may ask if they (or members) can add it to the site. That will be one way we can find new contributors, etc.

Yeah the date feature works for me. It shows the start date of the topic (at the top) and the time of the most recent reply (at the bottom).

Cheers,
Jim