Hey! I finished my First Model…I think…

Dear Colleagues:
I’ve been off the Tac net due to another back surgery. Meanwhile, I manage to finish, I.e., I’ve had enough of, this Dragon 1/35 Henschel Jagdtiger. This is the first model I’ve ever actually completed. I’ve had to trash some due to unfixable errors. I researched most of the JT and heavy Panzer books. By late war’s end, these monsters were generally moving by night to avoid Allied air power. They shot from cover and concealment due to their ungainly weight and lack of speed, not to mention Uber surface area for allied gunners. They often had names. I made up my own: “Der Stachel “ which I think translates into The Stinger. Of course, you might consider that Der…Stupid, or Der-lightful. Most of the cables including the track tow were scratch made due to inspiration from Lukasz Orczyc . Yes, that’s corn stalks stuck in the bent fenders. 55 gallon drum ready to siphon any gas available. I even think I got the unit markings right with stencils. The company one on front L is obscured. This iteration was intended to be anonymous, so please, no smarty-pants corrections like this tank was commanded by Oberluetnant Fritz Von Paukenschlag, formerly of the 5th Kriegsmarine Fusiliers. I don’t care. This thing is beat to H**l , as were so many I saw in reference photos. I’m just glad to be done with it. I learned a million things along the way, much from many of you. I’ve had to try to correct many mistakes. In the end, I’m happy for it being my first model. I tried to be original and have some accuracy, but not identify with any particular vehicle. Oh yeah, it was dark yeller’, but weather and rust take a toll, so does driving into buildings and through old woods. Thanks. Dan

10 Likes

Far better than my first one!

1 Like

Thanks Top. I’m not so sure though. Your wisdom is infectious

There is some great work there. TONS of enthusiasm. Nice first build

1 Like

Thank you very much. While my execution is no doubt lagging behind some of the elite work done by many forum members , I put a lot of time and money into this project. Some could fairly say too much .

I used virtually every painting and weathering techniques there is, PE, resin elements, scatxh partts and on and on. Now I know how to be more sparing on my next project, a Border Tiger I. I simply tried to capture what I was seeing in rare combat reel and pho5os. I made many mistakes, but it’s nice to hear some positive feedback. Much appreciated. Dan

2 Likes

CONGRATULATIONS :confetti_ball: :clap: :bouquet:

It’s always good to wrap a model project and fantastic to wrap the first one!

I especially like the fuel drum and it’s two tone finish, it’s very eye catching. Likewise, I like the tow cable placement and having them at the ready for this large and heavy beast!

Your first AFV model is definitely better than my first AFV. My first one that had tube glue strings in the paint, brush marks, silvered decals and a plethora of finger prints.

Cheers :beers:

4 Likes

Ha. Thanks my friend. Trust me: this thing had more flaws in its makeup than Phyllis Diller. Luckily it was an AFV and a Jagdtiger .

3 Likes

Well done! I hope my first turns out as nice as yours (waiting for parts and paint).

2 Likes

thanks my friend. whatever can be said let it not be said i didn’t try. i learned much. i learned that super glue isn’t super at all no matter the brand. i learned ET Models PE isn’t bad. i learned how to overdo weathering by using every single technique right down to dry brushing. But overall i had an idea of what this thing would look like , what accessories and other elements i’d use and the most rewarding was making my own accessories. i can’t throw kit cables cemented in an injection molded sarcophagus be glued to my vehicle. Much more work. but rewarding. i enjoyed the research part. getting the right unit markings and placing them as accurately as sources would yield. my next build will not be as much a chore since the 57 mistakes i made are now known to me

3 Likes

What subject do you have in mind for your next project? Any specific kit?

2 Likes

Good first model. :+1::+1:

Now you can decide what you want to improve if anything and go from there.

1 Like

Thanks. I learned much in this project which I could only attend to some evenings when the family went to bed. Learned more from mistakes. Some errors which are unteachable. That’s why this took three months. I’m my own worst enemy. I decided to make scratch parts instead of kit parts like all cables, including the track cables and all of the rods were scratch built. Some of the other ones are a steel handle welded on the engine deck so that a 55 gallon drum could be chained to it.

1 Like

Yes Sir. I’m sticking to the heavies. I’ve got a Border 1/35 Tiger I kit that came with a ton of accessories including metal barrel, PE, clear periscope plastic. I’ve already ordered many more accessories like Eureka cables and ammo crates, Aber Fiefel covers and other PE elements.
Once again, I’m going to try to make this “my own.” I’ve got the stencils to cover every unit there ever was.
I like the practice some crews used during the war of naming their vehicle. My Jagdtiger was named “Der Stachel”, ie, The Stinger. I used a mascot stencil and had it painted on the barrel with two kill rings

3 Likes

You know you’re right. There are several iterations I had in mind. I bought many accessories which I could employ. I will admit I’m a Jagdtiger nut. I have seven kits including the honking Trumpeter 1/16. I had Modellbau in Germany make me a barrel for it.

If you have any suggestions let me know

1 Like

I think the tank looks great!
The BattleScale Collectica Show

1 Like

Hey only 3 months to build up the dog that is the Dragon to this stage, Chapeau monsieur!
Just a friendly advice, don’t block escape hatches and the commander\s thingeys next time.

Amen to that brotha. I too have experienced through the trials and tribulations exactly as you (minus aftermarket PE, used what came with the kit). I wanted to try scratch building, I modified some placement of things, I ruined a set of tracks, I’ve broken soooo many pieces, completed an interior (sort of), and did lots of researching as well. All in all, it was a huge learning experience and like you said, the next one will be much easier. Through it all I really did enjoy the whole experience. Big mistakes can just be war damage haha.

Looks good too me… I had to stop building after my surgery… glad you had a good doc…

1 Like

Thanks my neighbor to the North. I’m sure it will. I’m not one to give any advice because I don’t have many builds to my name, but stick to a vision. Mine helped me create a certain look, and even told me what accessories I’d need right down to the Hobby Lobby phony corn stalks stuck in the separated side skirts/ fenders.

I also spent a lot of time making my own accessories like the tow cables, barrel rods etc. I stuck a length of 3” pipe in there because I thought my imaginary crew used it for some reason and they even brought a fuel drum with them to capitalize on disabled, abandoned or killed vehicles with petrol since the Wehrmacht was out of gas after the battle of the bulge.

But you do what you think your vehicle needs. I got advice from folks here as well as my mentor Lukasz Orczyc of the coldemonspl YouTube channel. So, I didn’t do anything alone. I’ve already started a nicely equipped Border early Tiger I variant. I haven’t yet thought out where I’m going with it, but it won’t be the box art. I’m excited to see your work if you care to share. Good luck

Dan

1 Like

Yeah I knew about the hatches, but I had nowhere else to stow my Eureka resin ammo crates, so the commander opted to burn to death in order to let me place my meticulously marked ammo there. Thanks my friend!

1 Like