HMS CALCUTTA, Crete 1941

Si,

nice job, came looks sharp! And you’re making good and fast progress, she’s already looking like a cruiser!

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

Hi Jan,

Thank you for the kind comment, apologies for the slow response,

Next update coming very shortly,

Cheers

Si

1 Like

This weekend’s progress,

The forward 4" and the 2pdr pompom painted and ready for fitting, the 4" is kit parts, a bit plain, but not too bad. The pompom is black cat, I will be using there quad 0.5" too.

Anchor cables in place, need to check the spare etch for some chain stoppers, and tidy up some paintwork.

Port and starboard bow, with the vents and other bits and pieces in place, as some of the cross the camo, I decided to paint them in place.

More soon,

Cheers

Si

9 Likes

Coming together nicely. Those Black Cat pompoms are the bee’s knees!

Very nice camo work, Si :grinning:

She is really taking shape and looking very good Si…Cheers mark

Hi Rory,

Black Cat’s weapons are very nice, will be using their quad 0.5" too. The kit pompom parts did look a little on the skinny side.

Cheers, Si

Thanks Mate,

It is fun, especially with only a grainy photo of the port side, and I keep spotting little bits that need tidying up.

Cheers, SI

1 Like

Thanks Mark,

It is so good to have kits of forgotten ships like the old C class, which worked hard during the Second World War, I am temped to getting another Calcutta and back dating her to pre-war fit with the 6" guns.

Cheers, Si

She already looks great, Si! PomPom really looks like great stuff, I’m almost tempted to switch to 3D printed parts, but I still have several north star ones in my stash, and they do look really good, just are much more complicated to do…
Nice progress, looking forward to your updates!

Cheers
Jan

Thanks Jan,

I must admit I have become rather a fan of the 3D printed parts, especially Black Cat models. The North Star pompoms are equally good, and a nice test of skill in the assembly, but do have the advantage of being easier paint in sub assemblies.

I will being giving some of their Kriegsmarine mounts a go in a built to start soon.

Cheers

Si

1 Like

Latest update, well last weekend progress.

the platforms for the quad 0.5" Vickers machine guns.

sprayed light grey.

The platforms with the mounts and the carley floats fitted. I need to have another study of the few rather grainy photos of her in May '41, but these platforms may have had splinter padding on the railings.

I fount some left over chain stoppers on the WEM Exeter fret, they are a little heavy, but they look ok.

The upper bridge and a few other bits and pieces fitted.

A side on view of the progress.

More soon.

Cheers,

Si

6 Likes

Looking good, Si!

Most of us have been using photoetch now for many years, but it still amazes me how much it adds to builds - the addition of the etch rails makes Trumpeter’s so-so platforms really pop! :grin:

1 Like

Yep, those platforms are a nice addition Si :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep very nice work indeed Si. She is looking good…Cheers Mark

Thanks Tim,

I agree with you regarding photoetch, the re was a small fret included in the kit, including the railings for the pompom platform, no foredeck and maindeck railings though, a little dissapointing, but these can be furnished from the spares box.

Cheers, Si :beer:

Hi Russ,

They were fun to get together, and the interesting bit is going to get the funnel stays around them. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Cheers

Si

1 Like

Thanks Mark,

She is coming on, not a bad kit at all. hope to get some done on her this week.

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers, Si

This week’s progress,

Some of the sections of the railings required some serious origami, this one was cut into two sections to make handling easier.

and fitted in place.

The details on the compass platform, I have assumed the outfit would be fairly basic, so apart from the kit parts, I have only added a few voicepipes from brass rod, and some scrap railing around the ladder access.

A few more vents, ready use lockers etc added to the fo’c’s’le deck level,

An overview of the build so far.

More soon.

Cheers

Si

6 Likes

She is coming along very nicely Si…Cheers mark