How much detail is ENOUGH

This is one of the reasons why i don’t purchase a new kit until the one im currently building is done. Im a builder not a collector

1 Like

Rivet Counters be like…

1 Like

Just curious, you would rather see them trashed than possibly sold or given away ?

1 Like

Nor me as well. They’re models. Now my guns and bikes on the other hand…

1 Like

That sounds quite familiar to me. I’ve definitely been in the same frame of mind when it comes to detail- particularly on those nice kits that already have busy, well detailed areas. I would add that I sometimes also wonder ‘will that get knocked off?’ In particular that question arises when looking at the most minuscule parts on, say, an aftermarket PE set.

1 Like

This is an interesting subject - as for detailing, it depends on my mood about the project - sometimes I go pretty full on - or at least try. One of my favorite PE kits is the Aber 3 part set for T-55s - its a brutal set and I love doing it! Even going so far as to scrape off the kit details and replacing them, taking on the self imposed challenge of using each and every piece of PE - which is admittedly nuts :smile:

I’m building the rear suspension on an RG 33 6x6 right now - it’s very similar to a Henrickson walking beam and I’m trying to get close with evergreen and patience.

As for old models - well, similar to what @18bravo said above, or maybe not. My take on a project is when it’s done, it’s done - especially for dios. Every couple years I unceremoniously throw them away. They take up a lot of room, and again - when they’re done - well, there isn’t too much I can do with them then. I have photos and they will have to suffice.

I have kept a few models and dios that I really like or have sentimental value - one in particular has some figures Romain (1stjaeger) painted for me in it, which I won’t part with. Romain was a great friend, and I still appreciate his guidance and inspiration in regard to improving my skills in the hobby -

Cheers
Nick

3 Likes

@Seanmcandrews Sean, cool question. I’d like to build all of them! LOL!

My stash peaked at ~272 kits but during COVID years, I gave many away many and I’m building. This year should end with 175 to 180 kits in the stash. I think it’s likely the stash will be long gone before me.

A friend with 5,000+ kits passed away. The family involved a collection liquidator. They got $5,000 or $1 per kit. So my collection of 175 kits would bring $175? I’ll burn it all to the ground first myself when I can’t build anymore. I definitely won’t ask my wife to fret and waste time with the vultures over a trival concern.

Even at $30 each for 175 kits that’s merely $5,250 or so.

In ~20 years with Joe-flation that might buy what two tacos :taco: and a bean burrito at Taco Bell :bell:?

Burn it all and enjoy the show!

3 Likes

I kinda like the idea of melting it all down to pour into a tombstone mo*ld…”Here lies (insert name), no detail was too small and no project too large. He died with his optivisor on” :headstone:

8 Likes

This is basically an artistic question. If you have a small basic kit like a jeep or a figure there is less kit to look at so more detail is better. A kit like the T72 with 500 blocks of ERA, probably less added detail is OK, it is a busy kit anyway.

2 Likes

I think it really comes down to personal preference. I like adding a lot of interior details on my kits, even though I know most of it will not be seen, but I know it is there. Others like using lots of PE, which I find mostly useless since it is usually flat pieces representing something round and doesn’t look good enough, nor is it worth the effort to me. Others have differing opinions.

Bottom line, build for yourself and don’t worry about how much details others think is right.

4 Likes