HQ 1st (British) Corps in the field c.1971 - 1:300 scale

I said home run, but there’re still a few models to complete; I’m no Milliput Ninja that’s for sure, or at least not in this scale. Note how my 9’ x 9’ shelter appears as a loaf of bread before I attempt to trim it all down. The side extensions on the Bedford office truck aren’t much better but this is where this scale does forgive. For the record, windows and entrance flaps are from Tamiya masking tape.

Again, for the (historical) record, the side extensions were often the workplace of the Clerks, who would sit there at a table and typewriter; there was an aperture in the side of the truck and a sort of slide, down which manuscript drafts would appear, from a Staff Officer, for the Clerk to type up. All low-tech but it worked. If the Staff branch wanted to produce their own copies and not use the centralised Receipt & Despatch Centre, then the side tents would also contain a rotary duplicator - and other office impedimenta.

Cramped in the rear of my Land Rover I used to gaze at the space and relative luxury of the other Staff cells with no small envy!

4 Likes