Huey Heaven Campaign

Group Build Title: Huey Heaven

Group Build Leader(s): @ Klaus-Adler

Group Build Description: Build a Huey or one of the UH-1 off shoots, any scale, military, civilian or coast guard types welcome.

Event Details: (Remember to click “Going” if you want to join the build!)
[2021-12-25T00:00:00Z2022-09-10T11:27:00Z]

Completion Award: a campaign medal will be awarded to all of those who successfully complete their build in the time allotted… assuming i can figure out how to make a medal on this new site :slight_smile:

A Note about Awards: The following text is a reminder that in order for people participating and finishing their projects to receive a badge on their forum profile, they will need to provide their account username to the group build leader by the completion date of the build. The leader will then provide this list to the site admin who will bulk award the badges to those users who have finished the group build. If you don’t provide your username or finish the project on the timetable the leader has setup you will not be able to receive an award.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION !

when you finish your build in the designated time, you will need to send me a PM with a completed build picture attached so I can keep track of the people who should receive medals.

4 Likes

Great idea and I have more then a few kits to choose from.

David, put me down as a possible as the ongoing Helicopter campaign has sparked an interest…
In the event section it will be worth inserig the poll section to show the going, possibles and nots…

I’ve always wanted to build a Vietnam War gunship, so count me in.
Now to find one.

Hope I’ll be in, gave up waiting for Kittyhawk to get their finger out with their promised UH-1’s but now they went kaput I’ll build something else. Not sure what yet but it will be Nam related

1 Like

Thanks guys for the fast response, i’m planning to start it until the end of the year and it will run for 9 months so plenty of time to think it through. at the moment it’s just an idea, floating around in my head, which was inspired by some of the Jocko Podcasts i listen to on youtube numbers 275 and 294 about helicopter pilots in vietnam, i’ll do a separate link for those in the helicopter section.

3 Likes

Yep I am in

Would strongly consider this one. Would like to build a rotary wing!

Would an ongoing 1:12 Huey build count?

@Apache26

1. who the feck makes a huey that big and where can i get one?!

2. it depends how far a long you are in the build process, if it’s 25% built then that’s fine but if you are just gloss coating for the decals then I have to say no.

There’s a gentleman out of Germany who makes 1:12 Hueys for R/C enthusiasts. He builds the bodies out of fiberglass and paints them and adds the markings for an extra price. The internals for the cockpit and the glass panels are up to the builder to paint and install.

I’m not an R/C guy at all. Back when I was into 1:6 figures, I dreamed of having a 1:6 Huey, but those cost thousands and require their own spot in the garage. With the 1:12 figures that are being released, I figured that would be a more manageable scale. I looked around and found this guy.

I usually keep my action figure interests separate from my scale models, but this merges the two. The model only comes with the cockpit accessories - instrument panel, console, seats, cyclic and collective. He doesn’t intend it to be a superbly accurate model, per-se. There is nothing in the cabin in order to make way for the R/C engine. So I will have to scratch build the cabin floor, walls and ceiling and door gunner seats. I’ll have to scratch build the pilot/co-pilot seat armor and come up with some sort of passable looking seatbelts. The doors are modeled permanently shut, so I’ll have to cut out at least the main cabin doors, which is fine since many Huey crews in Vietnam removed the doors.

Lastly, I’ll have to buy a set of R/C rotors. Again, I’m not interested in R/C, but I otherwise won’t have any and I don’t want to try and scratch build an engine and rotors.

The timeline you provided would give me the motivation to get this done. I bought it in early 2020, and it is easily the most expensive model I’ll ever buy.

1 Like

@Apache26 wow, i never knew there was one of these available, i do have the old Revell 1/24 scale version and i thought that was big… but then again i was a kid when i last seen one.

I’ll post a couple of photos when I get the chance. I’ve seen the 1:24 Huey. That’d be a sweet project, but it’s a “B” model gunship which carries less interest for me. I’m more interested in the troop carriers.

1 Like

@Apache, i have been reading up and listening to Jocko Podcasts about the guys in vietnam who went over the fence into Laos and Cambodia and there was a bunch of guys from the “Muskets” that saved their bacon flying C model gunships and i have the revel version in 1/35 scale as well as a 1/24 scale huey gunship that i might build.

Ok, well with the idea for a new Helicopter Campaign dedicated to Hueys being only 3 days old, we have 12 people interested so far:

Klaus_Adler
Tank-1812
Johnnych01
phantom_phanatic
kornbeef
Thomo_Thomson
Mead93
Apache26
agincajun
SGTJKJ
Colder
oliver
b-17-peter
JPTRR

Purely for clarification.

Will the AH-1 be allowed? I’m only asking as I know ICM have released 2 1/32nd G variants with another coming from Special hobby that has additional resin and PE in the near future.

Keith

@kornbeef No.

it’s not a Huey, and yes I know it has the same tail boom and various other parts.

regards,

Klaus

Actually the AH-1 series is a Huey. They were officially AH-1G Huey Cobras. About 85% of the components were the same as the UH series. Up to you though.

@HeavyArty i noticed you’ve not signed up for this Gino.

as for the AH-1 i will leave that for next year and maybe do a “Cobra Campaign” at some point in the future… i wanna see if i can get this Huey Campaign off the ground so to speak.

kind regards,

Klaus

1 Like

I agree with David. An H-1 campaign could have both but 99% of people who here Huey have an image of a UH-1 of some version, same if you say Cobra, a AH-1 of version comes to mind.