Huey Heaven Campaign

when I get s chance I will try to move this out of the staging area soon, I’ve been busy over the festive period.

well I think I’ve done it right and this is now in the campaigns section and not the staging area.

oh and this will be my entry into the campaign but with “Muskets” decals to represent the squadron that helped the SOG guys out of many a tight squeeze.

2 Likes

Had hoped to start this campaign with one of Kittyhawk’s promised UH-1’s in 1/35th as they have vanished I guess it will be one of the 1/35th UH-1C reboxes like above.

Soon as I get a few other things out the way… famous last words.

Keith

2 Likes

Travis, super interesting project. This thing must be enormous! What is the length?

You are right that the project is definitely not standard as the model is already build and you are not repainting it. However, I will leave it up to the campaign leader to comment.
BTW, once you crank out the dremel I think you need to repaint, so you might as well do the whole chopper.

In any case it would be very interesting to follow your build. :slightly_smiling_face:

I feel your pain.

1 Like

So how is everyone getting on?

I must confess, I haven’t started yet as I’m still trying to wrap up a few of last years builds to clear some space on the work bench.

I have not started either - I have other builds first. In addition I keep forgetting about this one since it is not in the activities overview.

I am still really looking forward to cut that old ESCI plastic - pure nostalgia and quite good quality even by todays standards.

6 Likes

@barryc680 that was the same comment that was made on a recent Jocko Willink podcast on youtube while he was talking to Mike Durant…Mike’s wife is a Huey pilot, it’s at the 6:20 minute mark

Wow, I better get started.
I’m going with Hasegawa’s 1/72 UH-1D offering. Here’s my start photos.

But the kit decals are kinda lame. I really don’t care about a J.G.S.D.F. or a USA Japan VIP hauler. If I’m doing a Huey, it gotta be from Vietnam.

I found these from Print Scale so I’m ready to start rocking and rolling.

3 Likes

I’m the same but life has gotten in the way of my modelling time, so i wish you good luck!

OOPS, I may have wandered off on a bad tangent here. I think most if not all UH-1Ds in Viet Nam had a pair of M60 machine guns attached at the rear of the cargo area. Of course mine’s a VIP transport, so none of the going into harm’s may stuff. I’ve seen some 1/48 gun kits, does anybody do one in 1/72???

Medical helos did not carry guns.
https://vietnam-hueys.tripod.com/Med%20Evac%20Hueys.htm

Aero club had a old set and MiniWorld does.

Hi there,
I will build mine with the Aeroclub guns…but haven’t started yet, too.
Probably soon… :smiley:

Well, let’s see how this plays out… The Scalemates links were to shops that didn’t have any in stock. I managed to stumble into a ship in Ukraine that might have some… Their page said they had them in Euros, but none in dollars??? so I ordered in Euros, wonder how this is going to work out. :wave:

You are correct.

Almost all US Army log-bodied Heuys (D and H) models had the M23 doorgun system; single M60Ds on a pintle mount. There were a few special cases where they mounted .50 cals or M134 miniguns, but it was not the norm. Even VIP transports in the warzone had M23s.

All US Army gunships (fixed, forward firing weapons; guns and rockets) were on short-bodied (B and C) models.

The USN and USMC used short-bodied UH-1E gunships.

The USAF used short-bodied UH-1F and UH-1P gunships and long-bodied UH-1Ns with M134 minigun door mounts by the 20th SOS (Green Hornets).

Depending on how you paid the company will convert and may charge a conversion fee.

I’m not sweating the $ - € thing. Been there done that, lost my shirt. I was less impressed with the website dropping the listing when I clicked on the $ button and then it couldn’t find the product again. So I reran the transaction in €, told them I’d pay with PayPal and the sale seems to have gone through. :roll_eyes:
Scalemates also hinted that an outfit called Uncle Les might have a 3D printed set of pilots, gunners, troops and the run mounts, but the links didn’t show that any products like I was hunting for. :wave:

I might still have time to enter my build.

And in markings a little bit different.
I’ve been re-reading Storm Front, a brief history of the Shofar War in Oman in the early 70’s, and found a few photos of AB205’s.

I should be able to build one from this kit, and I finally have a use for those Omani roundels I bought. About the only obvious difference I can see, is the cabin mounted winch, which this kit doesn’t have. Not even sure if any Huey kits do.

Should be an interesting little project.

3 Likes

Time to get started slowly on my entry. I am going for the old ESCI 1/72 kit and doing the Vietnam version with Zunis and Gatling guns.

It will be a slow start :slightly_smiling_face:

Processing: image.jpg…

2 Likes