I need help with reading my book

First of all, I want to say that I couldn’t really think of a better title to put this in.
So I have made this somewhat dumb sounding title.

What I really want is some explaining on some technical terms and abbreviations that I constantly come across in my book titled: ‘German Artillery of World War Two’. By Ian V. Hogg. You may have seen my topic asking on what books to buy for studying half tracks and German WW II artillery.

Now I’m finding the background information of it really interesting and enjoy reading it.
But, the ‘data’ section doesn’t say much to me. And about all the sections the same thing.

How can I learn them and better understand them?

I know that I’m not very clear in explaining exactly what I mean, but I hope to do this along the way.
And that we together can discover it and that you will be able to help me out with this.
Because I’m not that motivated anymore to read any further in my book, because of the technical terms and things I don’t understand.

Last but not least, I will also try to do some search on the internet myself as well. But I don’t think I will be able to figure out all by myself.

All your help really is appreciated, have a great day.

It might be helpful if you posted a picture of the data section or sections so that we can see exactly what you are referencing.

David

1 Like

Extraordinarily difficult to answer your question about the meanings of some artillery definitions without the terms you’re not clear on. Also difficult to offer any advice as to some direction of study without any idea of how much you do or don’t know right now.

The best I can offer is to simply do a Google search on any specif term you don’t understand.

These links might get you started, but it’s a huge field of study if approched in a general manner.

Some Established Military Terms

Wiki:: Artillery

Dyer Labs:: Terminology of Artillery

TM 9-3305, Principles of Artillery Weapons, was the text book for “Artillery 101” when I attended the US Army Field Artillery Officers Basic course too many decades ago. Chapter 2 covers the principles of artillery weapons and should answer most questions about what things are and how they work. These principles apply regardless of country of origin and for the last 100+ years.

A pdf is located at https://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-9-3305.pdf

Good luck!

Rick

Since I own a copy of that book, if you could post a picture of the relevant section or even a page number I’ll try and “translate”.

I mean things such as descriptions of the projectiles. What does things behind ‘Fuzed’ mean? What is percussion fired? What are those charges mean? What are the powders listed on some older guns?

Just to give some examples. I will be able at Monday to go deeper in my topic.

“Fuzed AZ 23” means the weight and description that follows applies to the 10.5cm FH Gr KH projectile with a AZ 23 fuze installed.

“Percussion fired” means that the propelling charge was ignited by a physical blow applied to a small amount of a sensitive explosive, in the same manner as a pistol or rifle cartridge. The alternative was electrically fired, meaning that there was an electrical element that got hot and ignited the propellant charge when a firing signal was received.

I don’t see anything about charges or powders in you rexamples.

KL

Download and save this:

TM-9-1985-9 German Explosive Ordnance

The list of abbriviations begins on page 537. Just about every imaginable German explosive projectile is listed along with its possible fuze combinations.

Sprgr. = Sprenggrenatte (high explosive or H.E. shell)
Z. = Zunder (German for fuze)
A.Z. = Aufschlag Zunder (percussion fuze)
Doop. Z. = Doppel Zunder (time and percussion fuze)
B.Z. = Bren Zunder (a time fuze that uses a slow buring ignition train that ca be adjusted to cause the shell to explode after a certain time of flight after it has been fired that is different from a mechanical time fuze or proximity fuze)

So, your A.Z. 23 is simply the number 23 percussion fuze for the 105mm H.E. shell for the Field Howitzer model 18M. And so it goes…

Very interesting and thank you for giving me this document.

1 Like

Thank you all so far for helping me out with giving a lot of useful resources that should help me better understand the subject.
I will be trying to be more specific and as accurate as I can about what I don’t understand and where I need help with.
I think it is best to post this in the same topic, otherwise it would be messy with all those different topics and then you don’t even know where you have to be anymore.
Thanks again for helping me out so far and I will continue reading in my book.

1 Like