I think this best sums up my hobby experience

22 Likes

Yep!
That’s the way it is.

A fancy dream is a thing of beauty,
a shattered dream is just a dustpan
full of colourful little shards

3 Likes

My wife likes to talk about all of her design and decoration plans, which are constantly shifting, many of which require extensive work and would be extremely expensive. While she is a very capable woman, much of this work would fall on me. That would require virtually all of our spare time. One evening a few years ago, she was talking about a number of project ideas for the house to meet her grand vision. When it comes to large projects, I prefer to focus on one at a time and it can be overwhelming to think of a series of home projects that would take up every weekend into the foreseeable future. I told her that, and that I didn’t want to think of losing every weekend to landscaping and construction labor for years to come.

She told me that she liked to think about projects and possibilities and talk about them. She then replied, “How many models and projects do you have in the basement that you think about and haven’t built?”

Even though my plastic treasures don’t commit her in any way, shape or form, I felt chastened.

2 Likes

Dreams are what keeps the world rotating. Without dreams we can’t aspire to anything much. Dreaming of a display unit full of finished models is just that ‘a dream’. If your dream came true then what?

1 Like

If I just left one single kit in the stash??

Robin if you left just one would it be called a ‘stash’?

Wow, nailed it!

hmmmm, needs thinking about …
What number of kits is actually the smallest possible stash?
Should it be defined based on number of kits or the expected time
to build and finish the stash.
10 kits, build rate 5 kits per month vs 1 kit, build rate 1 kit in 2 years

Have more Dreams?

IMO, quantity defines a stash and if I had to pick a number 10 seem like a good number. You can have a stash for a long or short time period based on your build rate etc.

1 Like

Models on the work bench are excluded the stash. They are in process. My current count is 5

Stalled models become Shelf Queens on the Shelf of Shame if reboxed. They are likewise excluded from the stash. My current count is 3

Model kits set aside with reference materials are at research status. Being research projects they are excluded from counting toward the stash. My current count is 7

Likewise, models of immediate interest that may be started the instance a "slot’ opens on the workbench are in the “ready-rack” They are likewise excluded from the stash. My current count is 10

Kits earmarked as donations for various charities, presents :gift:, club raffles and so forth should not be considered stashed My current count is 12

Model kits set aside to trade for other kits, aftermarket or reference materials are barter material and DO NOT count toward the stash as they could be traded at anytime. Kits in this fluid state cannot be counted as stashed according to generally accepted principles of inventory control. My current count is 65

Model kits for SELL, DO NOT count toward the stash as they are in a fluid state cannot be counted as stashed according to generally accepted principles of accounting. My current count is 83

Similar to “sell” but distinctly different
are VENDOR Model kits. They travel with the modeler to be sold at shows, meetings & contests. Likewise they DO NOT count toward the stash as they are in a fluid state cannot be counted as stashed according to the Internal Revenue Service in the USA. My current count is 94

Stash reserve of model kits one plans to build someday. My current count is ZERO

Having just realized, I don’t have a stash I’m going to go order some model kits as everyone should have a reserve!.

2 Likes

EXCELLENT summary :grin:
My stash is till too big though, even after applying this “creative bookkeeping”…

1 Like

I approve the accounting and remedial action. :+1:

1 Like

STASH
Several Tanks Are Stored Here
Stalled Tanks Are Shelved Here
Sale Tanks Aren’t Sold Here
Shelved Tanks Are Sitting Here

… and another one from a similar thread:
Some Tanks Are Secretly Hidden

:laughing:

1 Like

This is devinitaly the work of a stash-genious, and only way to avond the ultimate stash manager, the swimbo…

1 Like