IJN Hatsuzuki 1/200

Hallelujah ! He’s back on the Hatsuzuki!

2 Likes

Dito that - great to see you back on the Hatsuzuki! While I fully understand that builds are discontinued from time to time - my own being the best example - I truly missed your work here.
The funnel looks outstanding!

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

Thanks guys, it is good being back on the job with my favorite destroyer!

More work riveting the funnel today. In addition to the eight vertical rows of double rivets already installed along the forward funnel feed trunking, there are still to come two rows angled with the funnel top and seven more arrayed vertically. Fun times!

9 Likes

More rivets… But once more, there is another model in the model with the funnel section! Great work Tim, glad to see you back on her!

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

More rivets… But once more, there is another model in the model with the funnel section! Great work Tim, glad to see you back on her!
Cheers
Jan

Thanks Jan, I know what you mean. It seems every time I touch this model - even sections that are mostly finished - I start adding what I think are simple details which send me again chasing down the rabbit hole!

Anyway, here’s the riveting on the port side of the funnel:

The patterns look straightforward, but the sort-of horizontal rows actually follow the line of the angled funnel cap base (that white strip) but not the more sharply angled funnel top, nor the hand grabs (which really are horizontal). The sort-of vertical rows on the stack follow the angle of rake at the forward edge of the structure, intersecting the sort-of horizontal rivet rows at 90 degrees – but the rows on the trunking aft of the funnel are actually are vertical!

Now for the starboard side…

6 Likes

Not sure how I missed this, but just got caught up. Simply stunning work. The level of detail you’ve added is mind blowing, and so much of it with just “basic” modeling tools: styrene strip, rod and decals. Bravo!

2 Likes

You and @Black_sheep are making the rest of us look bad :stuck_out_tongue: :rofl:

But joking aside, this is just wonderful attention to detail and I am enjoying every moment of it.

2 Likes

Well, looking at the funnel construction and considering that those rivet lines connect the steel plates from which the thing is built, I’d say it makes perfect sense to build it like this.

Anyway, great work Tim, and fun watching your build log - as always!

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

Martin, Rory, and Jan, thanks! Continuing the riveting on the starboard side of the funnel:

I find that the delicate Archer decals, which are actually tiny dots of resin attached to clear decal carrier film, tend break up into short sections when I wet them. This actually works just fine as it makes it easier to position them around ladders, footrails, and other surface irregularities… but getting these sectioned rivets situated in straight lines is a challenge!

Once applied the black rivets stand out starkly against the grey plastic, but they should mostly disappear under paint. Still, they will add some extra depth of detail for anyone who cares to look closely.

10 Likes

Amazing work, Tim!
Cheers,

2 Likes

What Joe says, just amazing work!

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

Joe and Jan, thanks! And following the principle that anything worth doing is worth overdoing, I have added a further line of single rivets along the funnel top.

There may well have been even more… but after over 1,700 rivets on this funnel, I’m done!

11 Likes

simply amazing work Tim!!! my hat is off to you sir!

David

1 Like

Once again…AMAZING! but this time in capital letters!
Have great day!
Cheers,

2 Likes

Ah come on, only 300 to go and you’d hit the 2000-rivets-mark :grin:

Great work Tim, absolutely amazing, can’t agree more with what was said!

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

have to admit - seeing this build has me wanting to sell my 1/350 stash and begin building 1/200 - level of detail is inspiring Tim.

Can’t wait to see more.

David

1 Like

I’d even agree here, and it certainly would help my eyes, but the problem is, for the ships I like 1/350 is the largest scale my shipyard can handle. If I’d more space, e.g. Nelson, Rodney, but also Bismarck, Hood and Gneisenau would already be part of my stash…

And definitely - can’t wait to see more, too!

Jan

4 Likes

Oh that is some superb work Tim…Cheers mark

1 Like

45x45
Ah come on, only 300 to go and you’d hit the 2000-rivets-mark :grin:

Great work Tim, absolutely amazing, can’t agree more with what was said!
Cheers
Jan

LOL! Maybe I can claim to have passed that mark if I also include the rivets added to the four 10cm gunhouses… :laughing:

11 Likes

Great work Tim, really can´t wait to see everything under paint :+1:
xAv

2 Likes