IN PROCESS! ICM 1/32 AH-1G Cobra (early production) | AeroScale

100 % NEW MOLDS

AH-1G Cobra (early production), US Attack Helicopter

Model Kit #32060 Scale 1/32

New item of May! It`s the first experience for us to produce a helicopter. But for sure it`s not the last ;) Look at some renders.

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://aeroscale.net/news/in-process-icm-1-32-ah-1g-cobra-early-production

Looking very nice. Just a pity they went for 1/32 as opposed to 1/35th like most other copters are scaled at. Still that said Iā€™ll have to have one and hope they go on to do other Nam period copters like the Huey and a new Loach & beat Kitty hawk to the punch.

Impressive-appearing long-awaited model. Very disappointed it is not 1/35. But, then again, there is a large community who couldnā€™t give a flip about 1/35 subjects and would not be happy if it were 1/35. Scaled to 1/35 - danged if ICM do, danged if ICM donā€™t.

1 Like

Just musing here. Remember that ICM produces numerous WWI infantry and equipment kits. Those are 1/35 ā€œmilitaryā€ scale and yet the scale for large WWI aircraft is 1/32. How many Wingnut Wings models were available before the first ICM WWI infantry kits? It would have made sense to scale their WWI military line to 1/32, but I imagine the military modelers would have howled in protest.

I wonder if the choice of scales was decided by market research or an entrenched ā€œ1/35 for military and 1/32 for aircraftā€ mentality? If it were my decision the WWI ground pounders would be 1/32 and the new helos would be 1/35. But Iā€™d probably be bankrupt in a month. I also wonder how much discussion goes on between model companies? (Some, Iā€™ve been told.) How do you think this would go:

ICM: ā€˜Dear Tamiya, we are releasing 1/32 helicopters that are newer than any of your Vietnam and modern era models, and the same scale of your large scale airplanes. Please retool your military line to 1/32.ā€™

Tamiya: (Not withstanding ICM makes their military line 1/35 - fill in the response here.) :wink: