Interesting video about a cheaper Tamiya glue replacement

I forgot about Pledge Revive-It, my gloss coat of choice! It sprays unaltered, and doesn’t clog the AB the way Micro Gloss does…

we could check the safety data sheets, right?

1 Like

that’s a shame. You could probably look for similar products available where you are, though.

My experience is a single 1oz bottle of Testor’s Liquid Cement is good for about two model tank builds with a ~500 to 700 part kit. Yes, that sounds excessive but LC is just so useful!

1. used to thin putty,
  2. used to texture armor surfaces,
  3. used to chemically mill parts to ensure mold seams are removed
  4. used to remove tool marks from parts,
  5. used to thin putty for making zimmerit.
  6. used to put model together
  7. occasionally to flush airbrush
  8. cap is off the bottle a lot with that style of use so a fair amount evaporates

okay I am curious. Would vallejo model air brush thinner be the same?

I still haven’t finished my bottle that I got about 4 years ago… So maybe I don’t need to go for such extreme savings.

I am similar, maybe 3-4 kits per bottle

1 Like

I wouldn’t think so. Vallejo is a different kind of acrylic than Tamiya. However if you have some, give it a go and let us know.

Ill try, but I think your right.

1 Like

Mrclark7
okay I am curious. Would vallejo model air brush thinner be the same?

No, it has no plastic welding qualities, which is a good thing, as it it one of the better airbrush thinners, good for VL, AK & Mig acrylics

2 Likes

An “unscientific” test with Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner as cement:

Tamiya Extra Thin Cement And Tamiya Airbrush cleaner - The Truth - YouTube

It’s interesting if nothing else.

Jim

I have had good results with MEK, but it takes a little longer to set and crazes the plastic instantly if you overdo it. Just have to be careful and patient. But boy is it cheap.

I must have 24 bottles of Tennex stashed away. They are all sealed with wax to make the last longer
gary

2 Likes

jimb![]
12 Mar

An “unscientific” test with Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner as cement:
Tamiya Extra Thin Cement And Tamiya Airbrush cleaner - The Truth - YouTube
It’s interesting if nothing else.
Jim

It does work as cement, welding parts together. I’ve tested this with styrene, but other types of plastic may not work as well.

It even works superbly as airbrush cleaner! be careful with rubber ‘O’ ring as found on some badger airbrushes.

I got some shipped to the UK from Italy (only use of my now expired ‘free-shipping’ for students from a well-known site) along with pale blue paint retarder.
Both are unobtainable in the UK.

“Better living through chemistry.”:test_tube::blowfish: