Interwar French abomination II - Potez 540 (OOB)

When the French say “Vive la Difference!”, I doubt they were talking about the difference between aeronautically sound and advanced airplanes and whatever kind of flying aquaria/blimp gondolas the various French designers of the ‘20s and ‘30s were thinking about. However, one can’t deny that there is a difference there… and it is a big one!

Since I already have the Amiot 143 from Heller, it should come as no surprise that I also have the nearly-equally-hideous Potez 540 in my collection! So, with spring about to sprung (or something) I thought it would be good to have a look at what is one of the ugliest ducklings to take to the skies of interwar Europe.

Check out the 1/72 Potez 540 at the link below, and remember, someone, somewhere, thought THIS was a great idea. There’s a reason they don’t make ‘em like THAT anymore!

4 Likes

Yah, that bird (canard?) hit every branch of the ugly tree on short final. But isn’t this the first airplane to bomb Berlin?

It’s ugly, but it’s not Fairey Gannet ugly. That’s my standard of wretched looks. This bird is handsome by comparison.

1 Like

Or the King of Ugly
Westland Wendover

Fairey Gannet is almost handsome compared to the Wendover

The versions with the belly tumour are ugly though

1 Like

i have them in my stash because they are so ugly they are cool

1 Like

That Westland Wendover looks like somebody mangled the blueprints and everyone else was afraid to say anything about it… so it got built.

Looks like a Westland Lysander and a Lancaster had a baby that shouldn’t not have lived.

2 Likes

That’s essentially what they did.
They gave the Lysander defensive firepower by adding the rear end of a Lancaster to it
With the necessary modifications of course.

1 Like

Another weird-looking member of the Potez family, the postwar Potez 75

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potez_75

H.P.

3 Likes

Hmmm, not a million miles away from the Optica (from 1979):

I believe there’s even a model of it in 1:72 somewhere.

which reminds me of the Stipa-Caproni,
a ducted propeller with wings and a tail, a cockpit on top and wheels underneath

4 Likes

For some mad reason that just reminds me of a fat woman.

1 Like

Just because you can build something… doesn’t mean you should.

2 Likes

If anyone in the U.K. is inspired to attempt a similar French aerotrocity it might be worth noting Hannants have the Kovozavody Prostejov boxing of another pass-the-parcel set of Heller moulds, the Bloch MB-200 (also boxed as the Aero MB-200) on sale at a reduced price of £15.33…

Cheers,

M

1 Like

Maybe a campaign theme: F-ugly Flying Things

3 Likes

Man, how many times in the history of the humanity has that happened?

A bit of a stretch, but when I read your post I was immediately taken back to a band I was mixing back in the 90’s. Please note that this was a jazz band comprised of extremely talented musicians. BUT…the “singer” was not one of them. She could sing a tune, sure, but she was not a singer - not by any stretch of the imagination. During sound check she started making a fuss over her monitor. This is usually the first indication that the person doesn’t know how to listen, (which is kind of important for a musician) and a warning of what is about to come. The fussier she got, (she wanted her voice to be louder, and louder, and louder in the monitor) the more awkward it got on stage. All the other band members where looking any where but in her direction. It was at this point, forgetting that their manager was seated beside me, that I mumbled, “Whose girlfriend is this chick?”. The manager stifled a giggle. I tried to apologize for my unprofessional remark, but he just keep giggling.

The review in the paper the next morning suggested that the band dump the screecher. Ouch.

2 Likes

I think I have an old Matchbox Heyford somewhere…

Cheers,

M

1 Like

WELL!!!
Whose girlfriend was she??
Inquisitive a-hole wants to know :grin:

@Uncle-Heavy :

I never did find out.
I thought it best to just let it go.

Worst part was that they were on a world tour together! And no, I’m not going to name names. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

How long did the landing gear last?

Haven’t got the foggiest …
It looks heavier than it was, gross weight: 850 kg (1,874 lb)
and it had a very low landing speed: 68 km/h (42 mph)
Take-off run: 180 m (591 ft)
Landing run: 180 m (591 ft)

1 Like