Issues with acrylic flat coats

This probably has been asked before, but here goes. Has anyone who lives in a high-humidity environment (I live in Hawaii) encountered issues with acrylic flat coats (AMMO, Vallejo, Badger) becoming extremely glossy a few months later? I do not have an issue with lacquer-based flat coats. Just wondering.

1 Like

I’ve never used Badger , or ammo. I’ve never tried Vallejo flat, but their matte finish can be a PITA spray. That said, for a matte finish, it stayed matte. ( at least it doesn’t seem glossy to me now after 6+ months )
I only use Model master acrylic flat. Never had a problem with glossiness down the road.

1 Like

For the record, i am in CT, which does have humid summers.

1 Like

I was born and raised in West Hartford (War and Pieces on S. Main was easily the best hobby shop on earth).

I grew up and built many models in Florida and have never had that problem. Are You talking about clear coats or color coats?

1 Like

Clear coats. Doesn’t happen with Tamiya XF-21/Future, just the brand ones. I’ve gone to using Mr. Paint’s Flat Coat and so far that is easily the best I’ve used

You related to Rich Petro of War and Pieces fame???

Are you talking about it turning glossy 6 months after you spray it, or it sprays glossy 6 months after you buy it? I’ve had most acrylic flat coats go milky on me in high humidity, but never glossy. They can also frost in high humidity. I exclusively use my own mix of Tamiya Flat base and Future. Never goes wrong, and always dead flat.
I live in Naugatuck, Connecticut, and used to hit War & Pieces every Saturday and hang out for hours. 24 minute trip. Man I miss that place!

1 Like

I live at the seashore in New Jersey - very humid at times and yes indeed my AK Ultra Matte acrylic varnish does turn glossy - won’t use it anymore.
A shame as it is truly dead flat initially.

1 Like

Try Testers dull coat

1 Like

Yeah Matt, my go to was Tamiya/Future but that got to be a pain with mixing it correctly. Either it ended up satin or I had white flakes after it had completely dried. Never was good at math/fractions :slight_smile:

Future works as a smooth clear coat to place decals but not as part of a flat finish. I use it for a gloss clear coat on auto models.

1 Like

If you mix Tamiya’s XF-21 Flat Base into it (1 flat : 4 future at most) it can really give you a dead flat finish.

I agree but as you said there are factors that can interfere with achieving the flat coat. That implies a risk that you will not get the results you want.

1 Like

Tom, I conducted my tests years ago on junk models. I started with 1 part Tamiya and 9 parts Future, shot it, and worked in sections so I could compare ratios. When I got to 5 and 5 it started to frost badly. I finally fine tuned it to 2 parts Tamiya and 3 parts Future and it never fails. Just mark an old Tamiya bottle into 5 sections with a Sharpie, pour them in and shake.

2 Likes

No sir. Petro is the first 5 letters of my last name. I grew up in Seymour, and have never been to a model show. One day i will make it to Armorcon

1 Like

@SSGToms, when shooting the 2 part flat base to 3 parts future mix, what air pressure do you prefer? Also what type of air brush? Thank you.

The discontinued Pactra Acrylic Flat used to be my fail safe “dead flat”. I don’t trust the 20+ year old unopened bottles at this point.

1 Like

I should clarify my above post . The finish turns glossy several months after application on the model - not in the bottle.

1 Like

I shoot it at 12-15 PSI in light coats from my trusty Iwata Revolution CR (.5 nozzle) since it is an overall coat. This mix is also very forgiving. Even if you pool it a little, it will not go white, milky, or frosty on you. Just don’t shoot it from too far away. Keep a wet edge.

3 Likes

Now that’s truly bizarre. There must be some outside substance like pollen, sap, or grease filling in the rough and making it shiny. If it’s not that it must be aliens.

1 Like