Italeri 1/35 M4a3 Sherman Calliope

Thanks guys! Ive only seen one other person go to this extent with the modifications so Im going for a semi unique build. If anyone has any other information regarding Cold storage or any other Calliopes for that matter please post away!

Someone built one for the Shep Paine campaign if I recall correctly.

1 Like

Haha yep that was mine I stopped working on the build in august and just decided to continue it.

:joy: a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

1 Like

Nice save Ezra! Your work is incredible, this baby is gonna be a showstopper!

1 Like

Thanks Matt! I had a few hours in between school and a golf game so I decided to do a little work on the Calliope. I managed to detail up the pioneer tools with just some copper sheet and masking tape. (I also drilled out on both sides the fuel drain holes.)
Imgur
I also added the reinforcements to the launcher with some stretched sprue.
Imgur
Imgur

Next update will hopefully be with the rest of the weld beads done as well as a new tow cable.
( Im doing everything from scratch I havent used any AM on this build.)

4 Likes

Excelling detailing upgrades Ezra! Bravo! What are you planning to use for the tow cable?

1 Like

Thanks Carlos! Im planning on just using some fine wires just twisted together because my braided wire hasnā€™t arrived yet.

Really nice work. Especially on all the mods.
It had never occurred to me that a blast shield and deflector would have been fitted on the back. Bit obvious now that I think about it!

I picked one of these really cheap a few years back and have had it in the pile till I had gotten some references together. Will be taking notes of your build if thatā€™s ok?

1 Like

@phantom_phanatic defiantly! One thing though, when you build yours please do a build log of it! Which build are you gonna do the Italeri or the Academy kit?

Thanks. Itā€™s the Revell boxing of Italeris.
It may be a while till I make a start. Got so many half finished and nearly finished on the bench!

1 Like

Nice job Ezra. Now Iā€™ve got to buy one of these to add to my US artillery collection.

Rick

1 Like

Nice Rick! Just be ready for alot of workā€¦ even if you dont scratch the rear storage box and defector you still have hours of wiringā€¦

Some more done today, I added a tow cable and the last weld beads. The tow cable was made just using the 2 strands from the inside of my broken iPad charger (It was the only wire of the correct thickness I had) that I stuck both sides into two power drills and had them twist the wire. then I just added the ends from the shapeless kit ones and glued them on.
Imgur
Imgur
Im approaching the end on the building and all thatā€™s left is the rest of the wires!

I will ask again if anyone has some 1/35 rubber band Sherman tracks with duckbills I will buy them, because I dont want to build the 2000 part Broncho tracksā€¦

1 Like

Ezra let me check my stash and Iā€™ll get back to you.

Rich

1 Like

Thanks alot Rich! I would really appreciate it!

I donā€™t have the track but have you though about this? http://www.shermantracks.com/ as another option to Bronco tracks?

I like the idea and concept you used for the tow cable but not the execution. Doesnā€™t fit with the rest of your work. I would recommend using a different wire, maybe picture frame wire as the tow cable. If you like it then disregard my comment.

I agree with @Tank_1812 the tow cable would look better with a multi strand wire. Other than than that the build looks cracking. :+1: :+1:

Thanks for your feedback guys. Iā€™ll check if I have some picture frame wire. Thats actually a way better idea then what I did, only problem is the tow cable is already glued down and hopefully I dont damage the model removing it. If I have some I will defiantly try to replace it.

1 Like

Yeah that wire does not match up to the rest of your work. I donā€™t know if you have any on hand there, but the ā€œgutsā€ out of parachute cord makes excellent tow cables. It doesnā€™t fray, and looks the part once painted and super glued into the tow cable ends.

I scratch built some ends in this case using aluminum tube and rod along with the nylon cord.

4 Likes