Jackal 1:35 Hobby Boss

starts with Jackal. The base is Hobby Boss, accessories include Eduard photo-etched plates, a Live Resin grenade launcher and resin wheels. I’ll try to build a model that’s half as good as this one as @barny .

14 Likes

I’m going to be following this with much interest, so keep the updates coming.

1 Like

Remember that it’s a 2 not a 1, when looking for information,

2 Likes

Sure- I know

1 Like

Makinen
I am weeks into this kit at the moment and I look forward to your progress. After a lot of searching I settled on this amazing walk around of an in country Mali truck.

Barny’s build is instructional as well, he built a similar generation to the truck in the video, well worth a good look.
Which resin wheels are you using? I have yet to get mine so I’m interested in your choice.
Good idea getting the Live Resin

I am thinking to use a Live Resin .50 cal instead.
Good luck

1 Like

@Boggie - great movie. Thanks a lot.

2 Likes

I’ve got this kit in the queue and bought the Eduard etch set. There are some good pieces on there, however I’m not a fan of the etch stowage nets for the side of the wagon and read somewhere that the etch rubber mud guards are a pain. So, I bought the set from Scorpion Miniature Models which gives you the nets in a heavy gauge paper as well as other things and the rubber mud guards are just that, thin rubber material. For the price well worth it even if you are not using some of the Eduard bits.

2 Likes

Many thanks for your very kind comments about my build …lots of things to look out for including door shape change etc …watching with interest mate

2 Likes

Maximus8425 thanks for the link to Scorpion Miniatures, new to me.
http://www.tetramodel.com/?act=shop.goods_view&GS=315&GC=GD01
The complete Tetra offering looks good as well though I don’t recognize the version, perhaps the one on Recon Monkey? It is interesting that most if not all photos I have of the Jackal 2 are fitted with the cyclone air intakes under the rear deck, nobody has made these as an after market item.There are so many changes to the HB kit, as Barny said you have to keep an eye out, I wish one of our modelling brothers would share their findings like someone did years ago for the old Tamiya T-55, it reads like a book!
Can someone explain why the spare tire is sometimes stowed on the exterior of the rear door and other times on the inside?

1 Like

The tire, is one of the differences between the 1 and 2, the one has them externally to the doors, 2x spare tyres, the two has one tyre only, mounted on the inside of the door.

The tankograd books will help you.

2 Likes

Frank
Thank you very much for the explanation.

1 Like

My head is so completely confused that I’m a bit lost. I looked at a lot of photos, a movie, Barny’s model and… he doesn’t know where I am. Actually, I would like to build a UN model with Mali, but… I really don’t know where I am. I don’t want to break anything or damage something that doesn’t exist in this vehicle. I understand that it is best to follow Barne’s model and the film?

1 Like

I have a table full of small sub assemblies and yet I still end up taking those apart to add something or move something. I am now pre-painting these sub assemblies so when I put them together I won’t have spaces behind them to have to paint. It is like building a skeleton with the internal organs intact and no outer skin. Barny’s build certainly illuminates the Mali truck details, there are so many changes and Hobby Boss did a poor job with dimensions ie. the ammo cans suck, the fuel cans are too fat and the Grenade popper, though it looks the part is way too over scaled.
I re read Barny’s posts a couple of times and then I removed my head lamps and moved them forward, I cannot see any huge discrepancies with the doors yet but he does warn that they are inaccurate as well.

Slowly slowly catch your monkey.

4 Likes

Makinen: I forgot to mention, if you need a certain photo of something just ask, I am always willing to help. If I can’t I’m sure others will try to help out, this is not a simple build.

1 Like

Hi all here are some that might help

Original door on the right new shape on the left …
The next ones are of the armoured cover

The bit you remove from the door can be used to make the part on the vehicle where the door sits .
The 2A has additional armour under the belly which changes the shape of the front of the vehicle…but would require cutting the original up …

5 Likes

Barny
This helps a lot, a picture is worth a thousand words. I’ll tackle this today. Is the Mali vehicle a 2A? I’d like to see what needs to be done to sort out that belly armour, I’m still at a stage where I can chop apart the body without much collateral damage, if you’re willing to share?
Thank you

1 Like

My little update

7 Likes

The fight continues…

10 Likes

Coming along nicely mate

1 Like

I need to change the photos. These are terrible and the model looks like…S…T

1 Like