The main gun that comes with the kit is OK, not great, but usable; and my dad did a pretty good job on it. But it is the later two piece gun, and Anneliese had the early one piece gun. So I ended up replacing it with a really nice brass and aluminum piece from RB. Originally, I wanted the gun to be movable, but the new gun was just too heavy, and kept falling down, so I had to glue it in position.
The key to upgrading an old kit like this is to add (more)modern parts: whether they are aftermarket items, taken from other kits, or scratch built. On this build I did all of these. For the aftermarket stuff, besides the Monroe Purdue zimmerit, Friul tracks, and RB gun barrel, I used some bits from a detail set by Artworx Models, tow cables from Eureka, and jerry cans from Bronco and Blackdog. I also used bits from other Bandai kits, a Tamiya King Tiger and Mobelwagen, and a Trumpeter 1/72 King Tiger.
The only thing mounted on the left side of the kit was the tow cable/cleaning rods. The tow cable was ugly, and I wanted to reposition it anyway, so I cut it off and just glued on the cleaning rods. The tank did not come with a track changing cable, so I added one from a Tamiya King Tiger. There was no axe included, and the hammer was mounted where the axe should be. I moved the hammer to the other side, and added an axe from another Bandai kit. The spare track blocks are also from the Tamiya King Tiger.
The mounting bracket for the headlight is a resin bit from Artworx. The Artworx detail set is very nice, resin and photo etch; but much of it is so tiny, I can barely even see it, let alone work with it. So I am only using a few small bits here and there.
On the left side, besides moving the sledgehammer, I added the cleaning rods and engine hand crank from the kit. The kit had what looked like a ramming staff for a Panzer IV where the crowbar should be, I replaced it with a more suitable Bandai part. The kit comes with a shovel, but it is wrong for the King Tiger, I replaced it with one from a Tamiya Mobelwagen.